catching flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by moose2001, Apr 9, 2009.

1. moose2001

moose2001 New Member

State:
    mi
    Hi I was wonderibg if the flathead were biting in the maummee river yet. I know a hot water discharge my friends and I have caught over 60 lbs of channel cats this year but that is in michigan and a lot warmer water than the maummee river the biggest of the year is a 11 lb channel cat. Wanting to make a trip south just not sure how thw bite is yet.

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Chris, an article in the Ohio Outdoor News this time last spring showed a guy that caught a new State Record channel cat from the maumee while walleye fishing. Only problem was he didn't have a way to weigh or keep it alive so he released it. He took length and girth measurments that beat the old record.

No help for flatheads, but something to think about.

3. moose2001

moose2001 New Member

State:
    mi
    thanks for responding thanks again

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    we are just seeing a few flatties trickle in here in the southern part of the state, so if I was you, Id wait until we get several days of night temps in the 50's instead of the 20's, these cold nights are killing us right now.. Had ice on the windows this morning again down here in Dayton.:sad2:

Salmonid

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We were catching some flatties on the Muskingum, but the coldfront did slow the action down. It is supose to warm late week and weekend. By mid next week hopefully we will be back to where we were a couple weeks ago! rollo

6. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    GIVE IT TILL MAY

7. cat fish bud

cat fish bud New Member

State:
    ohio
    can anyone talk about catfishing in the dayton area. driving on 75 the river sure looks fishy.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bud, what part of town do you live in?
    North of Dayton on the GMR and Stillwater rivers the channel cat fishing is pretty good and below Miamisburg, you start to see a few flatheads, the closer to Cinci the more you will find.

Lots of access along the GMR around Dayton, but fewer spots below there.

Salmonid

9. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    the Maumee is at "action" stages right now..We were going up tp walleye fish but the river doubled over night....Save yourself the trip, its going to be a few days...Im seeing rain next week up till about wednesday morning......