Catching Flathead catfish While Drifting For Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by glenmorebuckman, Aug 2, 2006.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    While drifting slowly through those deep deep holes for big blues, does anybody ever catch big flatheads? I've just started getting into drifting , caught 11 yesterday from #7 on up to #15 but haven't caught any flatheads. Looks like drifting in 30-50 feet of river water with big boulders for structure would produce some big flats as well. Of course it looks like it would produce a big blue to but it hasn't yet. Yet!!

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    It does happen though rarely, for me anyway. Have an area I fish now that I anchor more than drift but still catch blues, channels and flats in it.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    its about 1 for every 50 blues for me and mostly flats less than 10lbs. i have seen a few bigger get caught drifting. i dont use much live bait when drifting myself and that probably takes away from the bigger flatheads biting. most of the time when i get to drifting in flathead country i get hung up too much and move. i did catch 3 last weekend drifting at santee with the biggest 9lbs. all came from the same little hump. makes me want go back and drop anchor.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My flathead catch rate while drifting is about the same as catfishrus, and probably for the same reasons. Now, Michael, I don't want you to burn all that gas to drive back down here, so if you'll just send me the gps #'s, I'll go check out that hump for ya and let you know how they did. :wink:

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    A guide on Lake Lewisville Texas that we used before drift fishes for blues. He told us occasionally he catch flats, but not veryoften. He believes the moving bait makes the flats think that its alive.

On the wall at the barge though, there is a pic of a 78#er that his client accidentally foul hooked. Said it took them something like 2 hours to get it in. They were using med tackle expecting fish 1-20 # maybe. They foul hooked a 78# flathead IN THE TAIL. That would be one heck of a fight.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I occasionally cath a flatty or two drifting, but they are usually small myself. Vern

7. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    i drift a bunch, very seldom catch a yellow cat, but, if i was using live bait, i know i would, especialy late at night and around timber...best time, just before daylight and 30 min. after. find water close to bank that is 10 to 20 feet deep, with big timber close by. no timber, then rocks are good..

8. Penn209

Penn209 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I rarely cross a flatty when drifting for Blues due to using cutbait. Not to say mr. flatty wont take it, rather it hasnt occured yet.