Catching flathead catfish using ___!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by river_rat_42, Mar 11, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What is your favorite bait to use when catching flatheads? I hear bluegill all the time, but, do you honestly think bluegill works better than shad and skipjack?

2. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    it is according to what body of water you are in, here in south ga the best bait for me is bream and live or cut eel.

3. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Here in Wisconsin I have the best luck on suckers and bullheads.

4. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I agree with Bullhead,and add mudpuppies ,

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would list bluegill (live) at the top of the list for So. Illinois Areas. Live shad would be my second choice.:lol: :big_smile:

6. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i think that gills are best. i like to cut there heads of and use it buy itself. for some reason they love it.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i agree with what most people will say on this topic. it depends on your area. here bluegills work pretty good. but you can also catch em on things as simple as a few worms bunched up. its what they are used to eating. and flatheads are the more picky when it comes to their diet for the most part, channels and blues will bite on dough baits some times where flatheads most the time wont. dont get me wronge the next state record flatty cought could be on a dough bait. but they mostly like live, fresh stuff.

8. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I would say gills about six inches or big creek chubs.

9. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would say hands down 8-12" carp work the best in my area.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Bluegills, the bigger the better, cut skipjack works well too at times.

11. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    I like bluegill here in Missouri, but I have had some great success using Gold Fish, the bigger the better! Big bait-----Big Fish..

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I would say Bluegills Muddogs are very good if you can find them make sure that they are not a endagered Species For if you get caught with a endanged one here in AR its BIG TROUBLES:tounge_out:

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive caught about 80% of all my flatheads on live and cut bluegills. Creek chubs and suckers are my second choice.

14. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    My go to baits for flats are large creek chubs and bullheads.

15. cashcat

cashcat New Member

State:
    nebraska
    cant beat the gills

16. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    bluegills are best bait for flathead.

17. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

i personally like to use 3 nightcrawlers or cut shiners.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I happen to live in a state that lets you use anything you can catch on a rod and reel for bait. Plus the "rough" fish you can catch in a cast net. I have used everything that swims as bait, I even used a 16 inch gar onetime. ( Had to pull out scales with pliers to get the hook to go through). Bluegills are at the bottom of my list, unless I catch them from the river. River gills are a better bait than a pond gill. My top two baits are river crappie and shad. I don't know if its just good bait placement or an overall preference of the flatheads. I do know that 95 percent of the fish that I've caught over 20lbs were on a shad or crappie.
    And I use it all, baby bass, small carp, drum, gills, baby channels, bullheads, rock bass, chubs , suckers, gold fish. You name it and I probablly used it at least once. Bring on the liver users LOL.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive heard many many guides say that big bait only elininates possible fish. one in perticular in "flatheads of the rock river" whom is a 40 year professional and 13 year guide says a 50# flathead will eat a 3-4" bait just as easy or easier than a 10" bait cause the big bait they have to position it as they catch it.

he caught a 61#er + 12 others in the 30# range. a good show available from our new sponser visual films. vol3.

on another one of dons films "santee cooper flatheads" they hook on seriously a bream that is worthy of mounting. 12" easy ide say. takes two to get it hooked. but an 18#ish flat came in with it hanging out of its mouth.

i am a firm believer that if its alive and swimming it will trigger a feeding flathead to eat it.

20. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I havmt been able to keep shad alive. But I have fished with about everykind of bait. Bullhead, baby carp. and other little species of fish that I wasnt supposed to use, along with goldfish. But Didnt catch anything on any of them. I love green sunfish. Flatheads love them. like green sunfis ause they stay active all night witch that is what attracts most flaheads.