Catching flathead catfish in lakes

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Apr 2, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Alright heres the catch- I am fishing a private lake about 100 acres(with permission!) that doesnt get hit hard at all for catfish. THe guy who i'm fishing with says he's seen some nice flatties in there in the flats becasue its so shallow there fins stick out. Anyway, i am fishing it many times this summer and was wondering where to fish- there 4 main flats that range from 1/2-4 ft deep with drop offs and plenty of cover(trees and stumps and weeds that grow in a foot of water right on the shore which is home to bluegills and bass), 2 of them have creeks feeding into them. should i fish those flats with bobbers or carolina- the bottom is mainly forage and mud. I really appreciate your thoughts

Ryan

2. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    from the way you describe it, i would fish the mouths around the creeks on the bottom...and if you want to fish brush, id use a float. fish the dropoffs during the day and where the ledge is on the flats in the evening and night time...good luck and keep us posted

scott

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would use a slip float and float a big lively baitfish around the trees and stumps and put a bottom rig out on the flats were the flatheads have been seen.

4. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    he told me that the channels and blues are only on one side with the muddy bottoms and flats. but the bass and crappie and 'gills are on the other side with all the cover. which should i fish

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    The big flatheads will be eating the bass, crappie, and bluegills, I would fish for them where their food source is.