Catching Fish When They Ain't Biting.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by NoCat2Big, Oct 12, 2005.

1. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    Seems like fishing has been slow the past week or so on Truman and really slow on the Osage past Truman dam. I'm going to head out to the lake again today for a few hours while the wife is working to see if I can find the fish. Dad is coming up this weekend and I want to put him on some big ones.

Spoonfish, I'll give you a call before I go today to see if you're game.

If anyone knows where them hawgs are wallowin' ya better let me know.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sorry Chris that I missed your call today. Plan on fishing with another member (Primitivefrn) this saturday. Hope we get some good ones and I hope you and your dad find them as well.
    Good Luck!!!

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris, I can tell you where to catch numbers, but only small weights. We caught 25 Sat, Sun morn. Never caught a fish over about 3 pounds. I think I will be back down this weekend also. One of my friends supposed to be back, wants to go. Wolfman may even talk about coming up. If you guys are going out of Osage Bluff, give me an idea where you will be and a boat description again, and I'll come looking, at least to say howdy and shake hands.

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I would come down guys but have to go look at a new boat this weekend and crunch some numbers

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Well then, spill the beans, will ya!!

A bunch of small fish is just as much fun as 1 monster in my book... ;)

Dad and I will be out drifting on the Grand River arm on Sunday - probably somewhere between Long Shoal and Bucksaw, or possibly up on the Tebo arm.

I finally got him hooked on drift fishing, so we're going to try some new places other than the G14 area.

6. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll PM ya T. Awe, the heck with it. We caught all those little ones around the mouth of the cove just south of the G-10 point. Don't waste your time with liver or prepared baits; all they want is shad. Whole little ones, cut up big ones, didn't seem to matter as long as they were real shad. If you drift around there, use floats to keep your baits (and weights) off the bottom. Really brushy,snaggy around the cove mouth. I'm talking about the biggest cove there that doesn't have the channel right across the front of the mouth.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Going to be on the upper Osage saturday, but if any of you guys are planing on sunday I'm game. Let me know.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the info SB - looked at the topo map, and that looks like a good spot. We typically drift with a "bottom bouncer" wire rig and we're well versed in getting snagged!

We did pretty well last weekend at the first cove to the south of G14 - the wind was blowing us right up the middle of the cove - caught most of them in about 15 to 25 ft of water; once we got up to 10 ft or so, there weren't any bites.

9. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    T - If you look at a topo, isn't it amazing the similarity between your cove and G-14 and my cove and G-10? Most of our catch came about 10-15 feet down in about 25-35 feet of water around the trees. I'm using big bobbers next time. I lost a couple of rigs in that brush.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    How did you do this last wk. end Chris?
    We tryed saturday way up the upper Osage with no luck. Sure has been nice weather though.
    I am planning on going tomorrow (wed.), if your around let me know.

11. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    Hey Spoon,
    We didn't make it out. They were busy looking at houses and I was mostly at home being sick. These allergies are kicking my arse... Allergies or the Flu, not sure which. But I am starting to feel better now.

I would like to go this evening if you still wanna go, I have a couple of service calls to do first. I'll give you a call..

If nothing else we can go Thursday.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds good Chris,
    We too had a bout with the allergy-sinus stuff for a few days, I guess it's going around. Let's plan to get out there tomorrow, give me a ring. I have the boat charged up and ready to go.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If you want to go this afternoon let me know, I think they may be calling for rain thur?

14. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    Sounds good.. If you'd ever answer your phone! LOL

15. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    Finally got Spoon on the phone, heading out now.

I think I found a honey hole the other day when I was drifting... They were stacked up in there... Least that's what the graph said.

Heading your way now Spoon.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm jealous... Stuck at work all week, no chance to get on the lake.

But it's raining like mad here in KC so you better hurry...

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Don't be too jelous T. About the time we got out and netted some shad and set up the weather turned from 85 to blowin and raining. But you know what they say about a bad day fishin and the workin thing LOL.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thought you guys might be cutting it a little bit close - the front came roaring through here about noon or so.

But the real question I have is, where in the heck is there a 90 ft deep hole in Truman lake (I saw Chris post about it on another thread...) -- deepest I've seen in my not-very-scientific driving around at random is around 65 ft, and that's at the bottom of the old river channel right next to KK Island...

So far, I've shied away from fishing really deep - for some reason, I have the impression that nothing is down there for lack of oxygen. But I'll bet I'm wrong...

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think ol chris had been hitting the suds a little and seeing double there T ;)
    I know where your talking about off kk where it is 65 or a little deeper. We have done well there drifting from the deep up to the flats, but have mostly started around 35 ft. or so. Come around Nov. or when we get to around 50 water temp. the hole may be the place to look for those blues stacked up. We went to LOZ yesterday and were marking all kinds of big fish at 40 feet but only had one bite before the weather turned and we had to come in.

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey guys, don't mean to change the subject...I'm not a MO native and I've heard Truman Lake is one of the premeir catfishing lakes in the region. If this is true I would love to come on over to "wrestle" with some! I live in the Washington area, how far away is Truman? When is the best time of year to get the big kittens? I enjoy reading alot of your posts, sounds like you all know what your doing, unlike myself it seems.

Appreciate any input and thoughts.