catching eels

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by CATFISHGARY1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    does anyone trap or catch eels around here ,trying to get some big ones tired of the pencil eels,i think the ones about big around as a golf ball put out a stronger scent and iv had alot more luck on the big one

2. cdsova

cdsova New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I caught an eel out of my farm pond a couple weeks ago, didn't even know we had them in there... nasty little things. I was actually fishing for cats, had chicken liver wrapped around a treble hook... that eel hit the hook and fought like hell. I ended up killing the thing... the thing had teeth and I didn't like looking at it. He was about 2.5 feet long, golf ball diameter... how do you rig them for bait? I didn't know cats would go for them

3. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    cut them in viena size pieces and bait them up and wait for the action to crank up

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd rather fish with a live eel.

5. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    the smaller ones you have to fish with alive, but the bigger ones cut them up and try them, they have twice the blood and ammonia and the big fish love them got smoe pics ill put on here later from this past fri nite trip

6. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    do the eels work after they have been fozen?

7. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    yes they work some but as with all bait you can not bet fresh

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    besides the private pond where else can they be caught? I fish Badin, Ive never heard anyone say they caught any there, so would they be good bait there?

9. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    we catch a lot in the north east cape fear river,i dont know about your area

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Don't think they are in there and I wouldn't risk getting them there to use them for bait. Who knows what they would do, maybe nothing but wouldn't risk it. They do work great and you'll never lose the bait even when you catch a fish. Can use the same piece over and over. The head will stay alive for a couple hours sometimes after you cut them. So will the body at times:eek:oooh:

11. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Historically they would have have been spread throughout the Yadkin watershed into very small creeks. Now they are limited to an area mostly below Blewett Falls dam, but a few make it upstream from that dam. As part of the relicensing of the Alcoa and Progress dams I believe they may be looking at including eel passage as well as American shad passage. They were once an important part of the food chain. As far as being concerned about what would happen if they escaped into Badin, don't worry about it since they are native.

Where is your pond located? They can make it over most small dams as they have an uncanny ability to climb over damp places almost vertical.

They spawn in the Sargasso sea and the larvae swim into the rivers, streams, creeks to mature and leave for the ocean as adults 15-30 years later. Its the opposite of what fish like American shad and striped bass (ocean run vs landlocked) do, spawning in freshwater and maturing in the ocean. Pretty neat critters.

12. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Well, Guess I'll wait them out. I dont want to be the one to turn them loose in our lake. things are pretty good right now and a new bait is not nessasary.:wink:

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like todobiencc said, I wouldn't worry about them getting into the lake - I guarantee there are at least a few there now, and they can not reproduce in a lake, they have to go back to the ocean for that.

They sell smaller ones on the coast a low for bait for cobia and stripers, so you might be able to get some from a coastal bait shop. Moslty they will have smaller eels, but could probably get some bigger ones if you asked.

14. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    iv read all the same things and always heard they go to the seragaso sea, but i no several farm ponds that have eels and still have them today so how do you explain this one we have a pond dug by my grandpa no where near a creek or river but they are eels in there now and he said no one put them in there, but i have heard when there larva they can attach to ducks feet or other water fowl but i dont no this for sure but sounds great but i do know there have been some very small ones caught in minnow traps and craw fish trap ,heck maybe i answered my own question

15. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Where are these ponds located? eels will slither across about anything wet so it may be they entered during a wet period.

16. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    County Line Bait and Tackle in Castle Hayne sells them.Thats the only place local that I know of though.I will ask around and see if there are any other places that does.

17. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I caught a nice size one the other day off of chicken liver while I was fishing for catfish. Other than catching them I don't know where you could buy some big ones.

18. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever caught a eel and used it as bait but I have heard some people have nothing but good things to say about it I know they said they cut it in pieces and use it and have caught some fish with them.

19. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    A good way to help make them easier to handle is to keep them in a cooler with some bagged ice or ice packs. Keep them out of the icewater.

20. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    my former neighbor caught one 3 feet long while i was fishing nearby on a private lake, and i caught one about that long in a minnow trap before. let them go seeing as i wasnt going to catfish anytime soon. i also caught some in a dipnet around an emergency spillway, the water was high and shad congregate around the base for easy pickiings. the ones in the spillway were the pencil size though. i have heasrd of people catching them on the cape fear, fatflattie on here has told me he has caught them with shrimp and worms.