Catching EEL

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by MuDD_Cat23, Jun 6, 2008.

1. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well so far ive heard besides liver that eel is a good bait to use so my question is whats a good way to catch eel and also whats a good way to use the eel to fish with. The other night i caught about a 18 inch eel as big as round as a golf ball with some old steak on a hook and threw it back i didnt know it was good catfish bait but whats the best way to use it thank you in advance for the anwsers

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They'll bite about anything but the best way to use the large ones is to cut them in 3-4in chunks and just barely skin hook them(believe me they won't come off). They'll catch blues and flatheads an I'm sure a channel cat if he's big enough.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

YEP! What he said. LOL! Claim the head. A piece of eel has been known to catch several fish. Keep em all. Puttin em on some ice will numb em real good for handlein. Also use one of them large green scotch pads for holdin em still. Works for me. Concentrate on old piers and good rock piles. As far as bait goes. Name it,they will eat it. I've caught em on 8/0 hooks before. If ya are gonna keep em wich is what I recomend use a smaller hook. Ya can get it back when ya do the autopsy. They hold up real well to freezin. Get a big enough one and ya will get several trips outa it. Good luck to ya.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've also found that if you are keeping them in a livewell, to get them out you can use a piece of PVC with one end capped off about half the length of the biggest eels you get, they'll go in head first and then when you grab them by the tail they try to go into the PVC and you've got him. Just cut him up as he comes out of the PVC. Pretty terrible explanation but it'll do I guess. Wish I had some pictures of this stuff.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Heres a pic of one. Somethin this size will keep ya goin most of the day if not all of it.

Attached Files:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep that's the size of the ones we usually use. Get about three of those and you're in business.