catching crickets for bait

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Wolf, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf New Member

State:
    Lake Fork, Texas
    I like to use bream to bait my catfish lines, and crickets are a great bait for bream. I see hundreds a crickets all over my yard, but it would take forever to go around catching them one at a time. Question is....has anyone figured out a way to set out some bait to catch crickets. It would be great to set out a trap at night and catch a trap full of crickets for catching bait.

Wolf

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a method I heard of many years ago for catching roaches; might be worth trying for crickets. Take a loaf of stale, hard-crust bread, like French bread or a sub roll, cut it in half, and scoop out the softer white interior. Now make a hole in each end of the loaf, just large enough to let the roach/cricket crawl through easily. Fasten the two pieces of the loaf back together with a rubber band (or something), and place it where it will stay dry overnight while the bugs crawl inside to eat the bread. Simply cover the holes as you pick it up the next morning, and open it over a big plastic bucket.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    wolf, years ago I found some crickets under a store light I went inside the store bought ask the owner if i could catch some of those crickets. He told to catch all i wont. well , i filled a container. the next day I went gill fishing and did not get a bite. the crickets were the black ones,not the grey that you buy. I saw people catching gills but they were using the store bought gray ones. I never figured out why I did not get a bite. years later I back to that store.I told the owner my story,he said oh yea I sprayed those crickets just minutes before you came into the store.

4. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I haven't done this for a while, but it always worked pretty well.
    I would take the garden hose, and spray all along the foundation of the house. Then the crickets come out of their holes in the ground, and run up the side of the foundation, then you just grab them. It also works well to spray a rock garden if you have one.

5. EDDIE R. CRAWFORD

EDDIE R. CRAWFORD New Member

State:
    JUSTIN, TX
    HEY WOLF,
    TRY THIS! IT WORKED FOR MY GRAND DAD WHEN I WAS A KID (LONG AGO) :rolleyes:
    MAKE A CAGE OUT OF SCREEN DOOR WIRE WITH A INWARD SHAPED CONE.
    LIKE A MINNOW TRAP OR CRAWDAD TRAP. PUT BANANNA PEELS IN THERE AND SET THIS TRAP WHERE YOU SEE THE MOST CRICKETS OVER NITE.
    IN THE MORNING YOU'LL HAVE ALL THE LITTLE CRITTERS YOU CAN USE
    IF THE TRAP IS BIG ENOUGH. MY GRAND DADS WAS ABOUT 12" SQUARE, KEPT US SUPPLIED ALL DAY.

6. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    J trew what up with that black dot by your fishes head in your display pic??? always wondered :know-big:

7. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    It's a fish scale

8. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Welcome aboard lilrivercatman.

9. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    i like using crickets but i never bother to buy them. the other day i went to a hay feild to get hay. It about scared me how many crickets there were. The ground moved with them. There were probaly so many because the hay was just being baled. We followed the tractor picking up the bales. That was the most and probaly the biggest crickets i had ever seen.

10. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I've never had much luck here with the black yard crickets. Bream here love the grey ones you buy but I have better luck with small bream using worms. I catch my crickets down the street at the bait shop when I use them, don't think I would waste my time chasing them around the yard.

11. cathunter 472

cathunter 472 New Member

I found that using grasshoppers also works for bluegill , but the only problem is that grasshoppers are harder to catch.

12. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    after me and my family got tired of bying crickets we just got a ten gallon aquarium and put paper towels on the bottom. Then we bought some cricket thirst quencher which you should be able to buy at a pet store. Cut up some egg cartons and got a plastic cup and cut the bottom off of it and pour some oatmeal in there. Throw some crickets in there. And those crickets will be mating day in and out. You will have enough crickets to fish for a lifetime. Hope this helps