Catching Crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by zeboman, Mar 17, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have developed a different technique for catching crawdads than the traditional trap method,it is faster, easier, and most households already have the gear needed. I use a colander to catch crawdads. I will search slower moving water in a stream or small creek,gravel or rocky bottmed streams are better because less dirt is stirred when turning over rocks and other things they hide under.Let`s get to my method, stand behind a rock with the current flowing toward you and slowly lift the rock with the current to keep debris to a minimum,when the water clears and a crawdad is spotted put the colander behind it (crawdads swim backwards) ,then place your other hand in front of the crawdad causing it to make an escape attempt. When the crawdad swims into the colander lift the colander out of the water and put the crawdad in whatever you will use to hold your bait in. The colander having holes in it causes no resistance when you lift it out of the water. Using this method we have caught dozens of crawdads with very little time or effort invested. This is very simple to do, take the kids and have a little fun.

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    When I was a kid my Grandfather had a farm that had a natural drainage ditch running through a part of the farm. I found a large landing net with a long handle that the mesh had been torn up. I replaced the mesh with mosquito netting and had the netting extend about 2ft long. I would follow the drainage ditch untill I found a good size pot hole then I would drag the net through the area and come up with lots of crawdads. I still have the old net and use it from time to time. Crawdads like the still water for raising their young.

Jesse

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We always go to drainage ditches in the spring and "rake" them. It's a wire meshed basket on a long pole that looks like a giant laddle. You just put it in on the other side of the ditch, pull it toward you along the bottom and come up the other side with it.

4. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    Tried making one of them in shop when I was in high school. Didnt work for me. I used on of those flour sifters. Had a perfect handle on it. You just had to get wet.

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Has anybody tried the two liter bottle method. Cut the top and bottom off of a two liter bottle, turn the top around, shove it back in and staple it. Take the top off a second bottle and put it where the bottom was on the first bottle and staple it. put about a cup of corn meal in the trap and sink it in a good spot. Collect your crawfish.

6. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Here's the lazy way to get crawdads. Take 2-3 lbs beef liver and wrap in an old burlap potato sack. Tie a long enough length of rope to get to the bottom under a dock, pier, or even a bridge. Lower it gently into the water. What happens is they climb all over the burlap to get to the bait, but their feet stick too it. Kind of like gars teeth to nylon rope. AFter a few hours or overnight just gently lift up on the rope. You should have craws hanging all over it. Good for several days worth of catching too! Hope this helps, John.

7. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    have you all ever heard of a saine , It is a long meshed lenght material with poles or sticks on each end attached to the mesh, at the bottom are sinkers attached about ever 6 inches,on the top side are flots about ever 18 in . it takes 2 people to operate the saine ,one on each end ,spread the sain all the way out with sinkers on bottom. it's good it you have a third person that has a stick. you pull the saine up stream in a creek or ditch or what ever. the 3rd man walks in front about 5 ft dragging the stick across the bottom stirring the rocks and crawfish. as they jump up to get away from the camotion they run right in the saine . This is how we did it when we had to catch many for commercial fishing

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've always used the rake when I went after crawfish. The rake is a wire mesh basket that is shaped like a front end loaders bucket with a long pole attached. Like previously mentioned just find a good drainage ditch and rake from one side to the other. You can also rake in standing water that holds crawfish doesn't just have to be a ditch. My dad and I use to do this and we would have hundreds of crawfish in about an hour of raking. If you know of a good spot that holds a lot of crawfish it doesn't take no time at all to catch plenty of them using this method.

9. idaho23

idaho23 New Member

State:
    idaho
    I always find a nice shallow flat and put on my goggles and snorkel. I will paddle around turning over rocks and grab them as they pop out. My dad or my brother grabs them and puts them in a bucket. This is a good way to get to those nice tasty soft shelled dudes that the fish love to eat. In an half hour or so you can have a hundred or more craws. :0a20:

10. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't have a rake for catching crawdads, what I have always used is an old net for my fish tank (by old, I mean too small for my fish). My way takes alittle longer than yours, I have to actually find the crawdads, and scoop them up in my net, but I have a little creek at the end of my street that I go down to to catch them...as much as my fish like crawdads, guess I'm going to have to invest in a rake though, it sounds alot easier!! Thanks

11. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I've used the 2 liter bottle method but I always just left the bottom on so one bottle = 1 trap and put some old meat from the fridge in there.

the trick is I had to drill some holes in it cause if you left it more than a day or two they would "drown" by not getting enough o2.

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have always used a galvanized minnow trap and snip a couple of wires in the throat and spread the throat open a little more. I then drop a cheap can of beef flavored dog food in which has had the top and bottom punctured with a church key. I use ALPO BEEF but any will work. I then put it in a stream or small muddy farm pond and come back the next day and generally have 4 -6 dozen mudbugs. A church key opener for some people who may not be familiar with it has a bottle opener on 1 end and a triangular opener on the other. Use the triangular opener side.

catman george

13. PhattyB

PhattyB New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I too use a minnow trap, but I do like the original poster instructed. Take half the trap, flip rocks and catch them as they swim out. I can catch them them as quickly as 3 per minute, but I'm selective on the size and throw the little ones back for next season.

The bigger the rock, the bigger the crawdads holed up under them. Just watch for water snakes :angry:

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive caught thousands of crawdads by walking up storm drains and just picking them up.be sure and go on a day thats not raining.