Catching crawdads???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishslayer, Sep 18, 2006.

1. catfishslayer

catfishslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in IL close to the river.I was wondering if anyone knew where you could catch crawdads ive heard of people catching them in ditches.Ive caught them before in places likre the black river any input would be helpfull

2. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Hey John, the only thing that i know of to do is if u have a lake that u fish at or wherever u are going to fish, u go to the rockiest part, where the rocks are along the banks and just take a little worm put it on your hook and dangle it in between the rocks and the crawdads will bite it and u just pull him up! Thats what i always do when i need crawdads! But they have crawdad catchers at bait shops or fishing department at your local Wal-mart....but if u dont want to waist money to buy it then just try what i said....the crawdad catcher may be a lil easier, but this will save you some money!....John from Az.

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i personally use a crawdad trap works great set it out the night befor you are going fishing and you should have enough to fish all day or night plus it is a good way to catch supper

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    You need a crawdad rake. Everybody around here has one. I can't post pictures but maybe somebody with one can so you can see what I am talking about. grizzly

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I just use one of those lil aquarium type nets and start flippin' over rocks! Have to be quick though! Used to do it by hand but too slow. The net helps with that! LOL Good huntin to ya'!!!!

6. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Which river is it that you live by? I usually finda pond or creek and toss out a trap willed with bits fo bacon, bologna, or hotdogs and pick it up in a day or two.

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If you have any help, you can sein enough to last you a whole season in less than an hour usually. I have even seined them by myself, push one of the pole of the sein into the bank, and just make circles around the edge of a small pond, can ge a bunch that way.

If you have help and want to sein the river, have two guys hold the sein net in the current, and have somebody with a potato fork turning over rocks above you in the current, the current washes the crawdads into the net as you walk slowley. You can get a ton this way.

8. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    go to somewhere you know has em like leaves on the bottom & throw a castnet over them works pretty good for me

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Find some rocks in the water and flip them over if you see a crawdad grab it. Are take a small piece of bacon and tie it to a string and toss it close to the rocks near openings if the crawdad is in there he will grab it. When he does pull the srting in slowly.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Save your self some time and get the trap. If you are in an area like me you have them just not like the deep south. Find a farm pond or creek or lake and put the trap out. Traps do not cost that much either. Plus like they say Time is Money......

11. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    If you got some kids in your neighboorhood take them down to the creek. You carry a leaf rake, rake the bottom of the creek out to the bank and have the kids grab the up.

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Catch All My Craws Either By Hand Or With A Trap. Good Luck Catching Them.