Catching Catfish in Brackish Water

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Dec 12, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Much of the catfish water here is very brackish. Does anyone here have some tips for fishing brackish rivers? thanks

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Approach it as you would any other river. Look for the inside bends,drop offs holes etc. Nothin changes. I fish it all the time.

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I'm in GA on the coast. When I fish brackish water I use the bait thats native to the water (ie shrimp, small crabs, cut native fish, and squid) Now dont expect to catch anything larger than 5-6 lbs though when it comes to brackish cats. You can however catch bigger gaftopsail cats 8-10 lbs at certain times of the year, you;ll have to check with fishing reports to see when there running. And as always you'll have to deal with catching stingrays in brackish water also. Good luck

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The best advice I can give is to have some good equipment because not only will you hang ocean critters but most brakish water blues are alot stronger than your average blue.Just the other day on the Cooper River in SC we where watching a dolphin roll and that got interupted by drag peelin off a reel by a 20 lb blue.Like katfshn50 said approach it the same as you would any other river.Just be ready to pull up anchor and chase something down.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    No, don't expect anything but small cats. The blues in brackish water here only get up in the upper 20lb range...so far. A friend caught a 28lb one not long ago, for that brackish bayou, he now holds the record, the former record was 26 lbs.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Charles, all I can say is fish the tide... 1 hour before the high and 1 hour after the flood tide.... depends on the holes of coarse... Be sure to flush the motor real good.... Salt X or something if you are in a boat.

bayrunner ray

7. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I also fish brackish water here in South Louisiana and I just love it. I also find the cats put up a lot better fight than the ones caught in fresh water. They get pretty big here where I fish, I have caught a couple that went 30 pounds and have seen some that were 40 pounds. I hope to catch one of those 40 pounders soon lol:tounge_out: . Another plus is you never know what you will catch in brackish water. Anything from a 100 pound plus alligator garfish to 40 plus pound Reds and Black Drum. And the Blue Point crabs are a added bonus, I always set a couple of crablines from my boat while fishing and usually catch enough for a nice crab boil. Man I have to stop talking about this, it is getting me hopped up lol:eek:oooh: . I cannot wait for the weekend.:big_smile: :0a23:

8. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I caught a 76lb blue in brackish water. I've also caught nice flatties too. Don't let brackish water discourage you.