catching cat in pond's best bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by melstangman1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what is the best bait to use for catfishing in pond's do you think stink baits work

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ponds? No offense, but I doubt there would be very many flathead in a pond. They would eat the population of all other fish out, then starve. Flathead tend to only eat live or very fresh cut bait. By very fresh, I mean within less than an hour since bait died. Even then, they want live bait first. I would seriously question a flathead caught on any prepared bait, stink bait included. Not saying it could never happen, but it goes totally against a flatheads feeding patterns.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    over here in kansas we have sand pits and yes they are there
    my wife caught one last year out of one and i caught another at a city pond
    just fish the same way you would in a river i use
    egg sinker about 6inches above my hook with a splitshot as a weight stop
    2oz is more than enough in a pond or sand pit with about 4-6 inch lively baite you should be ok
    i like using green sunfish in sand pits because thats whats in there and they eat usually
    hope this helps you

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    fresh gills, cut gills, night crawlers, chicken livers, yep that about covers it for me.

5. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i got my first flatheads and lots of them in a small pond, lots of small ponds hold good populations of big flatheads.. a guy got a mid 60's flattie out of this same pond, its a small public community park.. people shouldnt overlook small ponds for monster flats.

Attached Files:

6. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I always use live bait such as bluegill or chubs when fishing for flatheads. If they don't bite on it live, I stomp on it and try it that way. Flatheads seem to bite more on bait fish that inhabit the water they live in.

My boyfriend has always used stink bait and caught only channel cats. Last summer I convinced him to us one of my bluegill and he caught his first flathead!
    :smile2:

7. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    there have been a few big catfish caught in our city pond.

8. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i fished city ponds alot a few years back, before they got popular anyway, my favorite way and most effective way to catch them was a balloon rig. your hook of choice, a big bait, usually a bullhead or sucker, then tie your ballon, stick a snap swivel through the rubber area around your not, now you have a basic slip bobber, the trick was no weight just let your bait do its thing, big cats in city pond are really smart, some of the toughest fishing around, good luck..:wink:

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like using night crawlers, blue gill cut bait, and chicken livers

10. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i just u fish like i do in a river, ceptin maybe a smaller sinker, although a 9 oz flat sinker tends to get ya out further :eek:oooh:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    And fish close to the bank. If the pond has a weed edge, place your baits on the outside edge. Put one live gill under a float a foot or more off the bottom, and another directly on bottom. You will have to be extremely quiet if fishing right in front of you only a few yrds from your bait. Or you could walk up the bank 40 or 50 yrds and cast to the edge then walk your line back to the camp site, that will give you a cushion against any noise or light you put off. Fish right before and a few hours after sunset. Or a couple hours before sunrise. If there are Flatheads in the pond you will connect after a few outings. I would use the largest gills you can find for flats. Or 1lb bass or crappie. Now you can do double duty on flats and the biggest channels in the pond if you use 4 to 5 inch gills as bait.