Catching Carp!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by etipriga, Feb 6, 2006.

1. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    i used to go down to a lake near my house and go bowfishing at the spillway. we used to see tons of carp out there but they were just to far away. They never would swim around much, just sit there. At the begining of this year it dawned on me that it would prolly be a whole lot funner to catch these things on rod and reel than to just shoot at them. i saw a show that the guy was catchin them on jigs but i didnt know if i could catch these guys the same way. so im just wonderin if u guys got ne suggestions on what would be the best was of catchin these guys.

2. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    You should buy you a good flat bottom boat and go out after them. Don't wait for them to come to you.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    If your just starting out with carping, I need to welcome you to one of the most exciting fishing to be had in North America!!!! I caught my first carp this past summer, and I've been hooked ever since. Carp fishing can be very simple, or involve secret baits and precise rigs and setups. The easiest bait, is sweet corn. Buy a cheap can of corn, and go fishing. I add some sugar and/ vanilla extract to the corn for added attraction. You need smaller hooks, size 6 should work, and enough weight to keep the bait on the bottom. 12lb. line should work fine too. Just a regular pole w/ spinning tackle would be my choice for chasing carp once in a while. After a while you'll want to upgrade to a bigger rod like a catfish rod! When you arrive at the fishing spot, and you can see carp, you'll catch carp!!!. Take a couple of handfuls of the corn, and throw it out in the water. Then put some bait on your hook and throw it out in the same area. Be sure to either open your bail or loosen the drag so you don't lose your pole. If you hook a decent one, you'll have at least a 10 minute fight on your hands! Carp are an amazing fish, and I hope that you will also enjoy this amazing species and have several hours of fighting ahead of you!!!

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Carp have a really sensitive mouth. They will spit out a bait if they feel resistance. Small hooks are great. Have fun.

5. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    when i fish for carp in a lake i rarely use sinkers,usually a descent size chunk of doughball and a small hook and hold on for a great fight.try using seet anus for a sent in your doughball.they love it

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I say get a boat and go after them and feed them a 30" piece of fiberglass.

7. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I also use canned sweet corn. I drain most of the juice from the corn. I pour 4 - 5 cans of corn into a 1 gallon bucket. I then add about 1/4 cup of Karo corn syrup, 1/2 tsp. of LORANN OILS (LORANN OILS is used to make hard tack candy-a little goes a long way) and sometimes a little bit of food coloring. I buy the LORANN OILS from the local Rite-Aid drug store, in the pharmacy department. I don't know why they keep it behind the counter, maybe it's because it comes in 5/8" square by 2" glass bottles. Depending on the flavor, it might not even take 1/2 tsp. to flavor the hole gallon bucket. The flavoring comes in MANY different flavors. It seems like certain flavors work better than others sometimes. Two people sitting next to each other using two different flavors of bait, sometimes one will catch fish and the other won't. I also chum, but with a slingshot that has a large pouch. At times you will need the bait to be farther out than what you can through it with your hand. You can buy these from several European carp fishing companies. I make my own by sewing up pieces of old leather.

D-W

8. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    I am another advocate for canned sweet corn, you can try it with or without flavors. Also, try a piece of night crawler. depending on the size of the fish a #4 or #6 hook with some split shot about a foot up the line will be just fine. Rigs can get much more specialized than that but, keep it as simple as you can and you will catch your share. J

9. coloradowhiskerchaser

coloradowhiskerchaser New Member

State:
    colorado
    Hello,
    I have been catching carp on baits for several years and love it! Last year I got A book titled "Carp on the fly" and had to try it. Living here in Colorado owning a fly rod is a must so I tied a couple carp flies and headed to the river. Much to my suprise they readily took flies and i caught one fish that pushed 20. If you would like to try this I suggest you try wal-mart to buy a cheap fly rod reel combo. An 8wt rod works great and the whole works can be had for not much cash. You will never forget catching a carp on a fly rod.

Brett

10. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    just keep reading this website and getting advise from all these great people and you will soon be catching carp and loving it

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    My Dad used to fish for Carp all the time, he would use Doughball (mixed Wheaties with Strawberry Jello and maybe some corn syrup) but he used to catch them all the time at Indian Lake or Buckeye in Ohio

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    yep, thats where the hair rig comes into play. by the time they feel the hook they're hooked.

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
  14. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Can anyone tell me what the water temp. needs to get up to for the big carp to start bitting in a lake?

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Heres a good recipe for carp.

Box of Wheaties
    Strawberry Jello
    Big Red

take the box of Wheaties crush it all up in a bowl add the strawberry Jello mix with your hands then pour in some Big Red very little at a time got to mix it real good keep adding Big Red tell you get a nice dough. Once you get a nice dough ball add just a little more Big Red. Put it into a plastic storage bag and store it over night in the icebox. then just take it fishing use it on a bare treble hook. Good luck

16. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The info given has been on the money for these Great fish. The simple rig that was explained will work for you with the fish in the USA. The fish that are in some parts of europe have become educated and require more specialized methods. Get out there and catch some of them and remember to have your Bail open, Drag loose or have the Baitrunner on to prevent loosing your rod. These fish will have you wishing otherwise. They fight that you will have afterwards will bring you back again and again. JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

17. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Fatkat...the carp in my avatar was caught Jan. 19 when the water temp was about 40 degrees. It was in a shallow area on a sunny day.

18. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Exactly Scott...while carp will slow down in winter its not uncommon for them to take advantage of calm, sunny shallows in coves and banks w/southern exposure soakin' up some rays in late afternoon or early evenings as winter water temps peak. Check out areas that are last to ice or ice-out first, i.e. get the first warming rays, attract bait and the predators will follow.

19. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    when the water is cooler its normaly harder to find the carp then it is to catch them. you find a nice wintering spot or shallow flatt on a sunny afternoon you will likely catch these brutes. bigger one like live bait cuch as worms, crayfish, and minnows and smaller ones will take alot of corn, dough balls, bread that kid of stuff. but be ready for large fish no matter what.

20. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Thanks Scooter, I haven't fished for Carp in years but I was going to start this year, they are alot of fun to catch. I geuss I can start now, I didn't relize you could catch them in cold water temps. :)