Catching Bullheads ???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigcatman0001, Apr 30, 2008.

1. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have recently started trying to trap bullheads in a fish trap to use for flathead bait and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for bait since I have had no luck catching anything but brim and shad.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    have you tried chicken liver and fish guts

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will catch you some bullheads and trade your for the live shad and bream.LOL I have had a alot of success castching them on night crawlers in samll creeks.

4. BUCK

BUCK Guest

i trap mine useing bread. and place the trap behind a rock or log on the down stream side

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Try cotten seed meal cakes in your trap.....you can usually buy them from most farm supply stores or order them online.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I would reccomend finding somebody with an old farm pond and catch them out of there.Bullheads will infest and over populate a small pond and it would only do the pond good to take as many out as possible.Try to stress that to the owner.:wink:Most old farmers call(bullheads) mudcats and some call them goverment cats, so if they say they got them in their pond then they have bullheads.I know for a fact where you are from theres plenty of farm ponds.

If you use a rod and reel, then chicken liver is one of the best things to use, at least thats my experience.It will catch some perfect size flathead bait.If you use a basket, put some millcake in it.You can get millcake at most feed and seed stores.Millcake has always done good for me and my grandpa in baskets.In ponds that is.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree chicken livers works great in a trap and fishing guts, and also if that does work you could always cut some shad up into pieces and try that, keep us informed and let us know if you have any luck catching any bull heads.

8. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have been catching some on rod and reel in lake secession, but I am too addicted to big cats to fish that lake much, but I will have to give some of these ideas a try.
    Thanks fellas

:big_smile:

9. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    The best bait for those would be pink worms or a piece of chicken liver. I have targeted them a good bit and this always has caught them.

10. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    What rivers or lakes have yall head best luck catching bullheads in. I have been fishing Lake Seccesion