Catching Bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BRSUPERSTAR, Sep 27, 2007.

1. BRSUPERSTAR

BRSUPERSTAR New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I need help! What is the best gear,and bait to use for bullhead catfish. Thanks everyone.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I use a medium weight spinning rod with liver or night crawlers pretty much anything you can use to catch a channel cat with will catch a bullhead. I even caught one on a flash spoon out of a small creek while trout fishing.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I agree. You can use either a float or a bottom rig. Just keep your bait and hook size fairly small. Bullheads are notorious "fiddlers". Good luck!

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Are you referring to a flathead or an actual bullhead cat fish. I only ask because i have heard some people in our region refer to bull heads as flat heads. If you talking about the actual bullhead any light tackle will do. Most medium bass type rods will do with a small to medium spinning reel(if you use spinning gear). Now if you referring to actual flats(flatheads) you will need a MH or at least Medium rod with a line rating of 30lbs and a medium to larger spinning reel or bait caster.:wink:

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well I just found out you related to phillycat. So I guess he can school you my bad.....lol.............

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Angel this guy has not fished since the late 80's. No kidding. I am going to have to put in alot of work with him. He use to fish in the creek near his home. :cool2:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I see a lot of tangled lines in your near future.... I know how much you love those birdnests phillycat...........Sorry Superstar couldnt help myself..:smile2:
    Maybe I will be a part of that whenever I get around to practicing with that bait caster....

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Brian, I have used anything from Zebco 33s to any bass rods and reels. I have the best luck using bait shrimp than any other bait. I put a sinker on bottom and a hook and leader above it 12 inches or so and another hook and leader approx 16 inches above that. Sometimes I use a cork other times I fish on the bottom. Very good eating fish around here.
    Bill

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

this is why all my gear is spinning reels. costs to much for me to learn a bait caster. having to cut out the line after every cast & respool. not for me. I tried once. it wasnt a good day.

10. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I'm gonna put Brian on a spinning only regiment to start off with. :wink:

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah I was just afraid of that myself. I bought a Abu bait caster and phillycat advised me to buy some cheap line at first. I will give it a shot never know until I try. If not i will be putting a for sale sign on her(baitcaster).:confused2: lol I wanted to at least try though. Of course my trusty spinning gear will come along with me though. I will give it a few tries though.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    casting a baitcaster is a fine art. i make my release point 90 degrees and slow the spool down with my thumb. once you get used to it, youll never go back.

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Exactly the technique I use. Takes lots of practice.:boss::confident::byebye:

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It took a lot of practice just for me to able to launch my spinning gear. With out going the other direction or crossing other people lines....lol.......:smile2:

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Baitcasters aren't bad. If you can walk and chew gum, you can figure it out:wink: But like someone said, cheap line while you're learning.

As far as bullheads, I run larger hooks with them than most would since I want them alive to use for bait and the silly things seem to swallow anything below about a 4/0. I miss a lot of them, but the ones I get are lip-hooked and healthy for me to use for bait. I've also started using a lighted bobber at night for them. Good Luck!

Branden

16. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bullheads eat anything! Bullheads are notious for always swallowing the hook. If you can find a way to get them to stop, please let us know!

They swallow circle hooks, long shank hooks, anything! I won $20 once betting every single bullhead would swallow the hook one night of catfishing. It's quite a party trick!

:)