Catching bullhead catfish in a trap

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mudcat dale, Jul 25, 2009.

1. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    I built one of the clover leaf bream traps that is over in the member library and really like it. It definitely catchs bream.

The problem I have is not with the trap, it's what to bait it with. Tried dog food the other night and nothing in the trap but a couple of bream after 18 hours. This is in a pond where I know there are plenty of bullheads (catch them on rod and reel all the time).

What would ya'll suggest baiting the trap with to get the bullheads in there? They are by far my favorite bait for cats and it would sure make life easier if I could trap them.

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've caught plenty of bullheads in my crawfish traps in creeks baiting with dogfood. Maybe you need bigger openings? Is the bait in a place where it's in the middle of the trap or is it floating to the top? If it's floating they might be sucking it through the mesh. I started catching more of everything when I started using baitholders to suspend the bait in the middle of the trap away from the outside.

Might also try baiting with several cut up bream.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Liver in a small mesh sack in the middle of the trap. Worked for my traps in a creek.

4. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    liver works good, but i like dead minnows, thats what ive had the best luck with.