Catching bullhead catfish for bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by badcat, Jul 11, 2006.

1. badcat

badcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    just how do you catch bullheads for bait,

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Some guys trap them. Some catch them with rod and reel it all depends on your local laws. Most places you need rod and reel and worms/night crawlers

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Find the smallest, muddiest, ugliest looking pond you can find. Throw some chicken livers on the bottom, with a 1/0 hook, and you will catch them. They are everywhere around Kansas farm ponds.

If you have kids, take them along, the action is fast and fun for them, after all, they are catching "catfish"! They love it!

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    What these guys said should work pretty well!

5. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    just like you would catch anyother baitfish. i use rod and reel make sure to take plenty of hooks thay like to swallow the hook.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I just started using 1/16 oz leadhead jigs, seems like they don't swallow jigs as quick as regular hooks.
    I've also used #8 circle hooks, and they work just like they do with big cats- corner of the mouth almost every time.
    If you stick with regular hooks, use light wire aberdeens and keep the split shot only a few inches from the hook. That way you can see the bite sooner & strike back before they gulp it down.
    Chumming with some dry catfood soaked in water for a few days really brings them in, too.
    Don't forget the hemostats for the swallowers...

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I only use bullheads for flathead bait. The way I catch them is with a pretty good size jighead with worm. Depending on what the structure is on the bottom I either will float the jighead under a slip bobber or fish directly on the bottom. Once you locate the bullheads you can start to use just tiny chunks of worm to catch them. Its amazing how small of bait they will take. Make sure to pinch down the barb on your jighead, this will make for easier removal of the hook as well as less damage to the bullhead which will keep him livlier for longer. They tend to school up so once you get into em you shouldnt have a problem catching one after another.

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What is better bait bullhead or bream?

9. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been hearing how effective bullheads are, does size matter, should you use the little ones or the big ones or either?

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Both will work. I know of some mighty large flats caught on 5 inchers but I prefere them about 8-9inches, any bigger they arent as always as lively.

I have no idea which is better, bream or bullheads. In minnesota bream isnt a legal bait. Bullheads are hardier and are way livelier than any bream but as far as what flats might prefere I dont know. Even if bream was legal here I would still choose bullheads since they just dont seem to die.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I love to eat Bullheads as much as that flathead.He is going to have to catch his own,I am going to eat mine.peewee-williams.

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree pee wee them bullheads are great eating along with the flatheads.

The reason i was asking is my local lake is full of bullheads no flatheads at all. I was gonna catch me some bull heads and take them to where the flatheads are since catfish stay alive alot better than bream.

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    In my opinion, Bullheads are better than perch or bream. The bigger ones, (over 8") work but once they are that big, take some dikes and cut the fins down some. I have had the most luck on the 5" or 6" size. And have had better luck with bullhead than any other bait.

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Illegal to trap them in Nebraska, but they are infested in some places here. Since you found the place, and once they start biting, you might as well make a day of it. TA2D has had more luck with using bullheads than I have. They work great for Flatties. Good Luck

SudDawg

15. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    does anyone have success catching bullheads out of a major river like the mississippi?
    what kind of water do you catch them in

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have never tried it but perhaps you best bet would be the back waters of the Miss. I catch all mine out of small creeks and lakes.

17. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    There are plans in the library for Sams Bluegill trap and that is what i use to catch them. I made two of them in less than an 1 1/2 hours. Just bait with shrimp instead of dog food.

18. J.P.M.

J.P.M. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Kurt I would tell you but i don't like you that much.

19. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Bullheads , I wish I could find some for bait here in West Central Arkansas. We use Bluegills, Green Sunfish, and Punkinseeds. I've caught large Flatheads on lines that had already caught Channels. We had a 36 lb Flathead swallow a 3 lb Channel Cat on a noodle (jug line). We can catch lots of small Channels and Blues , but they're not legal for bait.

20. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here is a pic of my full bullhead bucket while out catching bait last week.

Bucket of Bullies