Catching bobcat

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by CountryHart, Oct 15, 2007.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm somewhat new to dirt trapping and am in dire need of info concerning bobcat. We have alot of cat in this area and I would like to do my part to thin the turkey eatin suckers out. I have seen several cedar here with the bark clawed off and wonder about setting on them?

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

with the prices on good cats i know i would jump on them.start scouting them and only them get in front of them and gang set them to death. snares in the trails. exposed trap sets.dirt hole sets all work for them guide them to death also.you can guide a cat alot harder than you can guide anything i think

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    You might remember, Bobcats prime up after Christmas, which means pelts at that time should bring more money. cats are last to prime. get you a good
    book on cat trapping. its fun and pays off sometimes.
    Your state Trapping assocation may have some info. Fur Fish and Game usually has some good info.
    Jim

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Trapperman.com has everything you need to know about this subject..you may want to cage trap them..they love cubbies...also..when you go to sell them..remember this...taxidermy market..you will fetch many more clams from them than the typical fur buyer..I sold 2 otter on ebay last year and they were frozen whole and shipped overnight to the buyers. they brought a good $30 more than if I were to have skinned and stretched them..:wink:

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ditto on buying a good cat trapping book. The old adage that curiosity killed the cat is on the money correct. If you put a bird's wing dangling off the ground on a piece of monofilament, every cat in the area will waltz into your set. Go get em after Christmas when its cold and the fur is prime.

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    woah thats alo of money, especially for doing less work, will they buy coons too?

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Coons don't fetch as much but yep I have sold them on there..I even sold 2 baby goats that died right after birth..people will buy anything:smile2:

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Reminds me of that song Mike (The_Barse) posted in the jokes forum... "I bought it on Ebay"... cracked me up. Anyway, I heard it's illegal (in KS anyway) to sell furs to anyone but a licensed buyer. Do you get a buyers license to sell furs on ebay? I never really looked into it, so I could be completely wrong. And as for trapping cats... I think snares are the way to go. In extremely brushy and rugged areas (as what cats like the best), Set up a three walled enclosure made of nasty brush so they won't try and go through it. Leave the fourth side (the opening) just big enough for a big cat to get through and a snare right in his way. Bait the back end of the hole. Cats are more sight hunters than scent, so a good bait could be a bird dangling and blowing around in the wind. Check to make sure that's legal, though. All states seem to be different. If there's 'yotes or fox in your area, you're apt to get them aswell with this set up. Another way to go is to know a place where they cross a creek. They'll do anything to not get their feet wet. Place "stepping stones" (big clumps of mud work great for little or no current) for a cross that they have to jump to each one. Place a leghold on one or two of these, and you're apt to catch cats. I'd make sure to cover the leghold with debris, though. Cats are wary. As for the claw marks on trees, I don't really know the best way to get them. I'd imagine using bobcat urine, mark a clawed tree and place a leghold in front of it. Those kinds of traps will work for 'yotes so I don't see why they wouldn't for cats. Anyway, hope this helps.

-Red