Catching bluegills in a cast net

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jul 6, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MABY SOME OF YOU CAN HELP ME !!!!!!

IM PLANNING ON GOING FLATHEAD CATFISHING SOON AND WERE GOING TO CAMP IN A COVE.....

SO I GOT A COUPLE QUESTIONS...

IS IT POSSIBLE TO CATCH GILLS WITH A 4FT CAST NET IN LIKE 4-6 FT WATERS??? IF THAT FAILS, ILL USE CORN OR BREAD TO LURE THEM IN AND GET EM CLOSER TO SHORE:wink: WHICH GOES TO MY NEXT QUESTION.... WILL DOG FOD ( KIBBLE) ATTRACT GILLS AND IS THER ANY OTHER THING THAT DOES????

MY LAST RESORT WILL BE ROD AND REEL BUT THATS KINDA FUN:smile2:

ANY INFO ABOUT CHUMMING FOR THEM WOULD BE AWSOME!!!!!!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    most states, i dont know about yours it's illegal to keep gills that you catch in a castnet.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best way to catch them in a net, is just to take bread crumble it and cast over it. I use a small 3' net so I have more control, and can use it in shallower water

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

ITS ILLEGAL TO SNAG DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS CASUE YOU CAN HURT BABY GILLS.... I WONT USE THE BABIES:wink:

BUT THATS A GOOD POINT TOO :0a31:

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THE GILLS WILL SEE THE NET OR THEY WILL MOVE OUT OF THE WAY TO FAST.....ILL MAKE SURE I GET A BUNCH OF STALE BREAD TOO:wink:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If its legal to catch gills in a cast net,Leroy. I like to use crackers or crushed crackers as well. They seem to float a bit longer than bread,but still give the same effect.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i toss my net close to the rip rap off the boat. but off shore it works too. i never used anything to attract them. they just seem to be there.

we dont have a rule against using bluegills for bait. but i wouldnt let a warden see me catching them in a net. rod and reel takes a lot of time,lol. to get 15 or so. i let the ones go after im done.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

im only taking one pole so im packing shink bait and a cast net ( gona target both species )

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Be sure to check your local regs! In Arkansas, we can keep and use bream under 4" in length for bait, regardless of how they are caught; over 4", they have to be caught on rod & reel, and count against your daily limit.
    One of my favorite places to castnet for them is on a launching ramp, because you can let your net sink all the way to the bottom with no danger of hanging up. And there are always bream hanging around a ramp. You can use something like crushed crackers or breadcrumbs for chum.

10. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    The best thing ive found is to go dig up some worms grab a small hook, small bobber and a ultralight pole. try to find a place where ther is veggitation or some brush and you should be pulling them out pritty fast. Good luck and God bless!

11. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    I got a free bag of dog food cause it had bugs in it. I couldnt giv it 2 dogs so i tried it as chum. Brought in A LOT of fish, and more each day. I didnt catch any sunfish, but i caught some channel cats. Im sure some were carp. Fish were surfacing all over the place but they were hard 2 get on a hook(That was sooo frustrating 2 hav em jumpin around laughin at me). It'll b great fun when nephews get here tho. BTW- puppy chow floats that was great, kibbles and bits sank and didnt wrk as well. I think the guys sugesting the crackers in such hav a btr idea, but if u ever want 2 hav fun with some channel dog food will work.

Good fishin and keep us posted!
    -fishingrl

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to catch mine on hook also, to much of a pain with a net.

I use a 2 hook rig, #8 long shank hooks (makes unhooking easier), under a very small bobber. I use my crappie pole with 2 lb test. I still chum the area with bread, to get them into a feeding frenzy. If you do this you can catch em 2 at a time, dont take long to get enough to fish with like this. I also like to take the kids with me, they enjoy the fishing, and I like the time I spend with them.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in illinois bluegills are ok. we have no state wide size or creel limit. thats why ive caught 194 in the past week,lol. but if there used as bait in an area where they have a site specific size limit (meaning some certain smaller lakes or private lakes do have size limits) they must be followed.

example. if you caught some 5-6" bluegills in a creek. you can use them for bait. but if the lake you go to to use them has a 8" minimum size limit posted you cannot use them. unless there 8" or larger. and they must be whole to determin the length.

so make sure to check the fishing booklets. they should be available where liscense are sold.:wink:

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Here they are game fish therefore can not be caught in a cast net.

So....I catch mine the old fashion way..hook and worm. Zabiki rigs tipped w/worms works good also.

If I were to chum it would be brown dog food that was presoaked in water. They just love it. Just before dark or early morning in the warm months is pretty easy.

15. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I liketo use my flyrod and a small hook with red wroms,you can catch a lot of gills and have a ton of fun

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    For two years now I have been emailing IL DNR to get clarification on if its legal to cast net for blue gills.. I have emailed to various email addresses and have yet to get one response...

The IL regs are vary vague on the matter. Looking at the regs, it APPEARS to be legal, but I have heard of atleast one person getting a $75 ticket for it. I've been sticking to rod and reel for them, but would sure like to get it clarified for me...

Straight from the Regs:

BLUEGILL AS BAIT
    There is nothing in the Illinois Fish Code which
    prohibits the use of legally taken bluegill or sunfish
    as bait for another species of fish. The
    bluegill/sunfish must have been taken by a
    properly licensed sport fisherman using legal
    sportfishing devices. You must also observe all
    size and creel limits both where the
    bluegill/sunfish were taken and where they are
    being used as bait. Also, it is illegal to cut up
    or dress or be in possession of cut up or
    dressed fish on any body of water where there
    is a size limit for that particular species of fish.

SPORTFISHING LICENSE
    A sport fishing license entitles an angler to
    take fish, crayfish, turtles or bullfrogs within
    limits denoted in the Statewide Creel and Size
    Limits Table, except for endangered and
    threatened aquatic life. It is unlawful to sell
    any aquatic life, or parts thereof, taken by a
    sport fishing license. Devices permitted by
    the sport fishing license include: bank pole
    and line, dip net throw line, trot line, buoyed
    device (jug fishing), or other legal devices not
    exceeding 50 hooks in total (except as noted
    under “Ice Fishing” section). Also permitted
    are legal-sized cast nets, shad scoops and
    minnow seines for bait fishing. Smelt may be
    taken in Lake Michigan with legal size dip
    nets, gill nets and seines. Two untagged
    sport fishing devices are allowed; each device
    in excess of two must be tagged with the
    angler’s name and address. If attached to a
    tree, the device must be attached only to the
    main trunk below the water line.
    Special fishing regulations at certain water
    areas prohibit the use of some devices or
    numbers of devices; please check the Site
    Specific Regulations which are contained in
    this document and are posted at various locations
    at the sites (boat ramps and site offices)
    where applicable.

17. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Leroy we catch them on hook and line, I'm sure you have checked regs there about the use of a cast net for gills. but crackers seem to be a good idea. If your not going to be using a lot of them, I would take some line and small hooks and catch them. It sure does help take up the time.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Tim, start over with your emails. Send one to your fish and game department requesting clarification. If you don't get an answer within a couple of weeks, send a second email, making sure you mention clearly that this is your second request. If you don't get an answer within a couple of weeks of the second request, send a third email stating that this is your third request, and that if you don't get an answer to it, copies of your fourth email will be sent to the governor's office, to the newspapers, and to the television stations. Don't know about your area, but we've got some investigative reporters in our area that just love to publish dirt wherever they can find it....sells newspapers and attracts viewers. I had to do that to get an answer from the Arkansas F&G, but as soon as I mentioned 'media', and governor, I got an answer quick.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    leroy i don't like the cast net for perch because their heads always seem to get stuck in the mesh and mess the gills up. i use a dry fly in a mayfly pattern and catch as many as i need.
    if you do cast net the perch though listen to jerry, concrete boat ramps always harbor perch.

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a very interesting post about gills, thank to everyone for sharing.