Catching bluegill

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 4, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    when i caught a channel i got it on stink bait and i was wondering

*******i cut open the one belly i saw a small bluegill but i hate trying to to fish for them and dont know where to castnet em

Help :tounge_out:

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    LeRoy,
    I mostly see channels caught on chicken livers in the Yuma area but I have seen some big channels out there too so I dont doubt that small 'gills are on the menu...as far as catching them goes..in my humble opinion, they are very hard to fish for in the summer time unless you know exactly where they are.
    I would advise scouting out some areas where you you think them most likely to be (my buddy and I will spend a whole day scouting spots for cats and we might find a few potential 'gill spots alonng the way) and try some wax worms. Those usually work for me. I hope that this helps...

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use a cast net around rockpiles. Ive caught some monster bass that I thought were rocks they were so big. Threw them back as I do all fish I catch, but if you cast net enough you'll get the hang of what is where.
    Bluegills hang out near the shore except in the daytime they go deeper.

4. DryHeat

DryHeat New Member

State:
    arizona
    I spent 24hrs out a roosevelt over the weekend and couldnt catch a bluegill to save my life! Tried mealworms, salmon eggs, corn, earthworms, small hotdog pieces in everything from shore, rockpiles, shallow, deep waters, brush and submerged tree areas and didnt catch a single one.......Im still puzzled. Have never had a problem with bluegills. If you figure it out, or have an answer, I would like to hear it.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    it was a small cat it was like 2 pounds

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    right now, seems the gill bite is off a lot. but i use worms, red salmon eggs. usually get enough for bait, but if not, use stink.
    gary

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    the simplest and easiest way to always be on gills is to fish where people are always around. I always fish the fishing boat launches, marina's, and beaches. THese areas always hold small bait fish eating all the stuff WE leave behind. THey are used to people and traffic so they dont spook easy. I have always had good luck, so with this in mind leave some for me if ya go!!:wink:

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you can find the gills in shallow water you can usually catch enough for bait. we caught 12 last weekend and didnt even realized that any of them were even on the line. was fishing on the bottom with crawlers. they were just picking up the bait and holding it, they werent moving the line at all.

9. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I had a few good ones on nightcrawlers and also on chicken liver, I did not know they would eat liver. I even got one on an empty hook; when I casted with liver it went one way and my hook another way, then as I was bringing my hook back I feelt a tug, sure enough I had a bluegill.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    If you have a boat, the best spot for gills that has not failed me yet is the rocky outcropping across from Windy hill... There are huge rocky ledges that always hold gills...

The best part of this is to tie your boat up to the rocks, and wave at all the angry bass fishermen that wanted to cast to that spot...
    he he he..:roll_eyes:

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

well i usually just drive by and shoot my potato cannon until they leave :wink:

i cant stand those guys.. they got such a attitude tords life or something

they think they own the lake :angry: but they dont pull 40lb fish up like catters do

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i like doing that. then watch them as you tell them you're catching gills for live bait for bass and cats. they turn such different livid colors. :0a6:
    gary

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    wrong quote for me. was refering to tying up to rock cliff. i like doing that and then telling bass fishermen i'm gonna use the gills for cats and bass. they turn all sorts of livid colors sometimes as they get mad. :smile2:gary