catching bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 4, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    when i caught a channel i got it on stink bait and i was wondering

*******i cut open the one belly i saw a small bluegill but i hate trying to to fish for them and dont know where to castnet em

Help :tounge_out:

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    got kids? if you do im sure they would like to catch them. you could go down to the local pond with a UL spinnning rod, and nothing but a hook and a little piece of worm. In under an hour you'll have more than enough bait. the ultralight rod adds a little entertainment.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's generally the way I do it, but if you really want to castnet them, try going to the boat ramp. Throw out a small handful of finely crushed crackers into a small spot, wait 3-5 minutes, and make a cast right over that spot. When I'm trying to catch a couple for bait, the boat ramp's the first place I try.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    normally when im fishing i have my cat poles set up and in the water and then i have one just for bluegills.I have a small circle hook on it and i put a worm on it and catch my bluegills while im catching my cats.

5. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sucker them in with bread! They luv it! Got couple of choice spot's. When they are enjoying the buffet, CAST NET EM'. Anyboby want some BLUEGILL'S? Good Fising!

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i was kinda thinking of using the cracker method that jtrew suggested :smile2:

are you saying like pieces of bred or 1 slice floating on top of the water :tounge_out:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    They are game fish here and can't use a cast net. But the bread will work balled up on a long shank 10 hook. Its gotta be fresh and a tiny ball works fine. I myself use the sabiki rig with a micro piece of worm on it, even if the worm comes off they will still hit it. Chum them in with soaked down dry dog food. Around here I'm having a hard time finding them, must be the time of year and the low water has takin away their holding structure. Plenty of bream just no gills. -Jim-

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    if you fish in the same place alot find or make cover christmas trees etc and start to feed them every time you go they will stay there

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

And if you don't have kids, grab a couple of neighborhood kids and do the same thing. This is what I did with both of my sons when they were younger. Catchinging bait fish was part of their apprenticeship. They loved it.:cool2:

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Check your local regulations first. My buddy and I have been toying with the idea of adding trees to some spots in hope of making some flathead structure. I was told though that it's not legal in Az to do it. Im going to check with fish and game to make sure. I'd suggest the same to anyone else.

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I must still be a little kid at heart. I enjoy catching them on an ultra light with a small #10 baitholder eagle claw and a small piece of night crawler. I enjoy catching any fish that wants to tug on my line. :big_smile_2:

If I need a lot of bait the kids are the first recruits. They love catching blue gills and both are very good at it. That is more fun than one man should be allowed to have. I have a blast watching my kids catch bait. :big_smile:

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea Leroy, if you don't have the light tackle to catch the gills, it ain't gonna be much fun or productive. My kids, the wife, and me (and my fly rod) have literally caught hundreds of bluegills to use just for bait.

But, I am taking notice of chumming them in with bread or cracker crumbs and cast netting them; never done it before but I think that's just neat.

13. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    Flyrod is the way to go.:big_smile:

14. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    When the water is warmer, I had good success going to the local pond off of the dock with a castnet. The pond isn't very large, and I got about 8 in 20 mins my first time out.

15. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    I usually catch'em in about 3-4 feet of water with a small hook and dough ball covering the hook. No cork and only a tiny little split shot about 3 inches from the hook... I let it drop and sometimes the little ones will hit it so hard that they'll fly outta the water tryin' to get the bait. LOL

Like someone else said, check your local regulations, because here in Florida we can't fish with the whole Blue gill, only parts from it and only the angler who catches them can use them as bait.

16. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    try a small trot line about 10 feet long and with about 8 hooks and about 6 to 8 inches apart and use small pieces of worm or bread balls. good luck and hope youre pole stays bent.

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man I like catchin them gills, those big BULL GILLS are a blast to catch. When the shallow bite drops off, back off to about 10 feet of water, and look for the deeper beds, seems to me that I catch bigger gill in deeper water, when you hook one, they will turn on their side, and swim in circles, for a few seconds, it's a blast.

18. newtothegame2

newtothegame2 New Member

State:
    hudson wisconsin
    how big should i be using bluegills

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC,Ben glad to have ya. Lots of info here,just cruise the threads. If your referring to size of gills to use for bait ,I like em 3-4" but you might find more folks preferrences under catfishing baits.

20. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    icefishing.jpg icefishing.jpg

well ive never tried to attach a picture or anything but i hope it works. me and buddy went ice fishing saturday and landed 252 out of 2 holes in 3 hours. we were averaging 2 per minute for a while. it was alot of fun thats for sure.

Attached Files: