Catching bluegill or redear on the beds - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by BIGCAT DADDY 71, Jul 14, 2006.

1. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a few years back, while fishing a lake in southern indiana, my wife and i found a big bed full of big redears. i rigged up our poles like i've done for years(the way dad did) and started taking them left and right. i turned to put another one in the basket, their was the game warden. he came on over to the boat, checked everything to see if we are legal, we was. then out of nowhere he said, you are cheating and are not a fisherman taking those fish that way. he was really ripping my ass about this. he said i should dump out all the redear in my basket to let them go back to the beds. i said no-way, that i learned as a kid from my father to catch them this way. he shook his head and off he went.

question = do you think it's alright to take fish off their beds?
    = do you think it's wrong to take fish off their bed's?

would like to know how my boc family feels about this subject. it's brothered me since the day it happened.

thanks, scott.

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't think it's any more wrong than hunting deer over corn. The odds are always against humans because we are pursuing game in THEIR environment, not ours. The reason for people thinking it's "cheating" is because the fish are congregating together and it makes it easier to catch them in a shorter time frame. I don't see a problem with it because you are not catching every fish in the bed (or you shouldn't be), but I feel it's necessary to thin them out. The game warden was probably on an ego trip like so many of them do. He may have been mad that you were perfectly legal and could not write you a citation for anything. Just my 2 cents.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You were operating within set laws and did no wrong. You stayed within your creel limits and have nothing to feel bad about. I support all our officials because of the job they do, but you do get all types. Maybe he was a PITA infiltrator, lol. Enjoy your bream.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't see anything wrong with what you did,i'd have done the same.Sounds like he was havin a bad day and wanted to make yours bad also!

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Was there anywhere on your license that mentions the legality of his opinion. He checked you out, you were legal, end of story...:cool2:

6. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    "question = do you think it's alright to take fish off their beds?
    = do you think it's wrong to take fish off their bed's?"

Yes and no. Some species (like bluegills and red ears) are pretty hardy and can sustain harvesting when their on their beds, but I wouldn't recommend harvesting a lot of other species off of their beds.

I think what you did was perfectly moral and without reproach. there are millions of fisherman out there who do this every year and the fish have yet to be killed off.

as far as him telling you that you're not a fisherman for doing something that millions of other fisherman have done for decades, well, I think that he's the one that's in the wrong. I wouldn't let his jealousy get you down.

7. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana

the dnr and game-warden's do a great job there in indiana, this was a officer that felt it wasn't right to take them off their beds. i respect all conservation officer's and police/firefighter's, for the job they do. i posted because, their are alot of pan-fisherman on the boc and would like to know if they agree with bed fishing, or not. i have talked to a few people in past years, that did not agree on taking them off their beds.

rep's for those who post if you agree or disagree.

thanks, scott.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've been keeping track of the fish in a given length of the Jacks Fork river for decades and harvesting sunfish off the beds does not seem to have much effect on the population.

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    There is nothing wrong with catching fish off of their beds. That's when all crappie fishermen fish because the crappie are on their beds. Bluegill are overpopulated anyways so fish on.

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I think fish brem off the bed is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What better way to hook a kid on fishing! Even adults! I have watched for years on local lakes and bayous and rivers brem being caught by the humdreds and they are still as many as there was before.

I see nothing at alll wrong about it.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i believe that fish populations can handle bed fishing

12. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I strongly believe that there was nothing wrong with what you were doing. Theats a bunch of crap.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I can see it both ways. Bed fishing for bluegills and shellcrackers shouldnt have much of an impact on the fishery. I have seen reports of other fish (bass) taking a big hit from bed fishing. On big waterways it shouldnt be a problem, but small ponds it may be. FISH ON!!!

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Scott, I guess in his eyes I would be a cheating non-fisherman too. He has the liberty to be an idiot if he wants to. Ain't America great!

ST

15. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I don't see anything wrong with what you did.Gotta have bait.

16. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    I've done it myself.There is nothing wrong with it at all it is legal.You should feel lucky you were at the right place at the right time.The ones on the beds are usually the big ones and make a good meal.:big_smile:

17. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    WELL SPOKEN!!!!!

yeah but i reckon if there were only a few gills then maybe just like sayin a word or two... but not what he said....

thats just messed up

BTW thats when u can catch aton of gills real easy on a fly rod.... LOTS A FUN!!

but heck brother ur fine i wouldnt worry about it

but a word of advice dont get on his bad side.... here they have more athority than a state cop

but our conservation officer is good friends with my family lol

but man sometimes they arent there when u need em..

one time we were shot at on purpose one time when we were hunting.... cause we ran this dude off our land cause he wasnt supposted to be there...
    long story so ill skip it

Jeff

18. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I see nothing wrong with takeing gills or other fish from the beds. As long as you do not go over the limit, if there is one, and that you plan on putting the fish to good use, eating them, then you are doing nothing wrong. The smaller fish have to be thined out or they will soon over populate the body of water and it will stunt or starve out everything in the lake.

19. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Scott, there is nothing you did that I wouldn't do.I fish for gills as much as I fish for cats and if I can find a bed I'm taking alot of them off of it..My wife and I enjoy eating gills.I was taught not to take what you don't intend to eat..Sounds like the warden was on a ego trip.And as I said earlier I would have done the same thing.I would rep you brother but I can't till morning,I have already used my amount up...

20. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    maybe he was such a bad fisherman that he couldn't even catch them on the beds:roll_eyes: