Catching bluegill for bait

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by king fisher, May 18, 2007.

1. king fisher

king fisher New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Around april-may the bluegill start biting alot. Catching them on rod and real is pretty simple and is the only way to because where i live net and traps aren't permited. Bait: small jigs and red worms work good but i recmend red worms. Rig set up: the rig i use is pretty simple all you need is some splitshot and a small crappie hook. Tie the hook on then put the split shot about 1 to 2 inches above the hook(no boober needed)jig heads will also work for this task. How to fish this rig all you have to do is let the worm sink all the way to the bottom and about every 5 seconds fig it up and down when ther strike you will feel it. The jigging also helps from getting gut hooks often.

Thanks for reading
    happy fishing

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Good info! Welcome to the BOC!!!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Zach Welcome to the BOC. Thanks for that bluegill info. Bluegill makes good catfish bait. Sp this means we can have fun twice. Thanks.:lol: :big_smile:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC!

5. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good info! Where I fish we can use nets but i have way more fun catching the bait with a hook and line. My brother fishes the same way you described, but i like to use a small bobber and keep the worm off the bottom just a little. To each his own though. We fish a small creek that is full of green sunfish, chubs, shad and a lot of other species. I think its more fun to catch the bait by rod and reel anyway. Welcome to the BOC.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    My bluegill setup is a 4'6" ultralight spinning rig with 4# test. I use a small 1/64 oz jig or tiny trout fly tipped with a waxworm. I've also hooked some pretty nice cats on this rig! :eek:oooh:

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for the info on jigs. I tend to gut hook alot of bluegills. I will have to try fishing with a jig. Does anybody use circle hooks for catching bluegills?

Jaime

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Watching that little red/white plastic bobber bounce around on the water is fun forme! Good info Brother! Thanks for posting and welcome to the BOC it's flat out addicting and the best fishing site on the web hands down!!:big_smile:

9. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I use size 12 or 14 circle-hooks they work great,eliminates gut hooked fish,works great on chubs also

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Tony, where do you find circles that small? The smallest I've been able to find are considerably larger than that--fine if fishing for serious bream, but way too large to catch the little ones less than 6" long.

11. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live on the cumberland river here in Tennessee. I fish bluegills alot, mostly for breakfast, those big as ya hand :big_smile:

I catch mine on an ultralite rig, 6 lbs test line, eighth oz bell sinker, long shank cricket hook and mealie worms.

I tie the hook on first, leave about 18 inches tag for the sinker. I throw it to my target, reel up the slack and hold the rod for the hit.

When other people are down here at the river fishing for gills, I out fish them around 5 to 1 with this method.

This aint some BS story :lol: give it a try , I'll try to get some pics up soon of my "honey hole" and how to set up my gill rig .

PS. Glad to be here folks :0a22:

12. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have found that small strips of bacon works just as well as worms and it stays on the hook a lot longer. Thanks for the info.

Good fishing to ya.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    welcome aboard. i use very small hooks for bluegills and no weight. i pull the piece of worm across the surface a couple feet and then let it sink. when i see a twitch in the line, i lift the rod. this way i don't traumatize my future bait and also avoid a guthook.

14. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This is why I hold my rod as well, I can set the hook first hit before they swallow it

15. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    That's the only way I do it. Outfish anybody anyday with this method. Works very well when their a little spooky too.

16. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    I've not tried bacon yet, but give Fatback a try.....Those gills love it and, like bacon, you don't have to re-bait nearly as often. A small piece of fresh fatback will go a long way.......Good Luck.

Which way to the Crik??????:smile2:

17. RegulatorX

RegulatorX New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bluegill are a lot of fun and make great bait. Thanks for the info.

18. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    Has anyone tried freezing whole bluegills,as a means to save for cutbait at a future time?

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Crickets are the bait I use to catch my gill, works well for me.

20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My intentions were to get some gills last night and then go cattin,but the weather decided to come up with a storm so my cattin didn't work. I personally don't know wheather to leave it whole or cut it up in chuncks and fish it that way.So come on bluegillers give me some suggestions. Do I leave it whole or should I doctor it up with chicken liver blood and garlic salt? Any and all suggestions are deeply appreciated.Thank you Family!!!:smile2: