Catching blue catfish on Shad, frozen

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 6, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i seem to catch more blues on froze shade rather than fresh. usally in the 10 lb range

2. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    just right for the fry daddy.lol

3. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey that is a good fillet size. I've heard as long as you freeze them without water just by theirselves the blood will stay in them longer. Do you have any problem with them getting mushy?

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    they get mushy if i refreeze them. and stinky.

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The place where i get my shad is about 35 miles from my house....so rather than going and getting shad every time I go, I vacum seal all of my shad! That seems to keep them a little more fresh, rather than just ziplock bag that lets air in and then they seem to want to fall off the hook a little easier! You can buy one for about $45 and the bags cost about $10 for 15 bags....that is 15 trips to the river! I usually go for a big shad run and get about 25 or 30 bags, that way I have them when I want to go! I have had good luck on them too!

6. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Lots of people say frozen shad doesnt work very good but it works for me. Good luck and fish often.

7. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    our river and lake full off them they work better than any thing here somtimes i cast net a sh... load to save up so i dont have to cast net them all the time. yea i sure would like to go the food saver rout . well thanks yall. fish on

8. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Fresh Shad > Frozen Shad

:big_smile:

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I seem to have better luck with live shad but have caught my fair share on frozen too.... But mainly larger fish with the live shad..... But im sure its just a prefrence.....