catching bigger fish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by richard84, Jun 21, 2009.

1. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    i fish alot of lakes in ky and ohio and usually do pretty well as far as catching flats and blues but im not satisfied with the sizes...it seem like some folks will catch about the same amount of fish as me but hook up on a big one much more consistantly...does anyone have any advice about how i can improve my odds of hangin into quality fish more often???any input will be greatly appreciated...keep on castin folks

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't be afraid to fish in deeeeeeeeeeep open water 35-50 ft. deep..

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Incease the size of your bait.:wink:

4. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree with Patcat50, bigger more lively bait is the ticket. Flatheads eat 20% of their own size, I have caught 3 pounders on massive green sunfish. Bullheads fished under a float can also be great, they want to get back to the bottom bad so they struggle longer and harder than most baitfish.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    bigger baits, tryin different locations, and spending alot of nites on the water, i wish i had a fool proof answer to catchin bigger fish, gettin smaller fish just seems to be part of fishin:cool2:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Like most said, BIGGER BAITS!

I believe a big flat or blue would rather chase and eat 1 big fish than having to expend energy in chasing and eating 5 small fish.

You could be fishing lakes that are overun with catfish thus stunting the whole population?

Try my theory in Monster Cat Hunting, if you fish long enough, sooner or later you will run into one.:cool2: