Catching baitfish at night?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by thunderchicken, Feb 18, 2007.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have always liked using live bait for catfish but finding an adequate supply of baitfish on short notice has been a problem. Both of our bait shops went out of business so I have even gone to walmart and thought about getting some goldfish there but not sure if they would take kindly to me going to the pet dept with a bait bucket. Many times if I try to catch blugill with a cane pole they stop biting at dusk so you have to go early or your out of luck.I was wondering if you can catch baitfish with a cast net after dark? They should show up on a graph or sonar rig if they are schooled and you could be lookin for mr. whiskers in no time. Anyone have any experience doing this or is it just a dumb idea? The reason I ask is I live in the desert and it's hot at dusk and trying to keep bait alive til prime fishing time is a problem. Thanks.
    :cool2:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    Don't let it bother you what they think. If they have what you need just get 'em. As for getting bait after dark shad are easy to get. If you are talking about bluegills and such you should check you local laws. In a lot of places it is illegal to catch them with a net...W

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike I have at times went to a boat ramp after dark and let the car lights glance of the ramp and have caught a mixture of shad and gills, with a cast net. Check the laws in your area before doing this. In my area I could not keep gills and bass.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Walmart has no problem with selling goldfish for bait. They just want your money.

5. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    Forgot to ask, do you fish from a boat?...W

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I bought a submersible green lite on sale at Wal Mart one time. Still havent used it yet.:embarassed:
    Its supposed to draw the bait fish in and of course the big fishes follow.Well thats what it says.:lol:

7. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Not now but I am in the market for a boat. I thought if I could net some bait it would make it a lot easier.
    :cool2:

8. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    The reason I ask is that it is not so difficult to keep bait fish in hot weather if you have a decent sized container with good aeration. That is much easier to achieve in a boat than on the shore....UNLESS you fish at a place where you can get your vehicle reasonably close to where you are fishing. Then you can keep the bait tank in the car/truck. With a deep cycle battery you can keep the bait healthy for a long time. I have transported bluegills hundreds of miles in the bait tank in the back of my truck. There is always a way. I have seen guys put a 120 QT cooler on a cart with a battery and wheel it to their shore fishing spot.
    Netting bait is indeed much easier than catching them one at a time with a rod but as already mentioned, check your local regulations...W

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've actually caught quite a few bluegills and crappies after dark before. The trick is to fish very tight to cover. I've had luck with just dropping a nightcrawler, minnow, or beemoth right above cover with just a split shot and small hook after dark. I just sit and wait till I feel a slight tug. I have done this one several occasions in desperation for bait after dark.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    It's my own ignorant opinion that catching bait after dark/before sunlight is easier. Again, that's just my opinion but I don't have any problem catching bait in the dark.

11. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    if it was me i would just let them put it in the bag then tell them what i was using them for....lol.....naw i wouldnt let it bother me if your paying they can say much

12. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    mike,i've used a cast net at night while fishin a large lake from shore,to keep my bait supply replenished.used a rechargable millon watt spotlight to find the bait along the shore.i'd set the light down cast the net out and hull them in.gives ya something to do while the action is slow.good luck trent

13. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Using your head lights off the ramp is a great idea. I wish I had thought of it. Once again the BOC rocks.

Wooly

14. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i know a lot of there areas i fish i wont go out untill about a half an hour before dark for shad,usally there moving up into the coves into the shallow waters,and usally so are the cats,looking for dinner.

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    About 11:00 one night I decided to go fishing and got some really syrange looks walking in wally world with my bait bucket, most [people just layghed but I got bait!:big_smile: