Catching bait

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GotFish?, May 12, 2008.

1. GotFish?

GotFish? New Member

State:
    Greenville Illinois
    I grew up catching blue gill bait the hard way, small hook and red worm. Anytime I've ever used shiners, shad or minnows I've just purchased them.

Now I'm thinking of doing some bait netting. The only netting I've done is the umbrella net next to the dock, so I'm wondering.

What nets do you use?
    Anyone troll net?
    What methods do you prefer and how do they work for you?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Cast nets, work very well.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use a cast net and sometimes i siene for my bait

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    go to walmart, buy you a castnet, spend an hour learning to throw it. There are lots of videos and step by step instructions on the net.

Netting shad is the way to go and it sure beats paying money. Plus, fresh shad is so much better than freezer shad found at the bait store. You can't beat it!

Don't discount some good gills though either. Cut gill or whole do well for cats as well.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you'll love that cast net. it adds alot of fun to the fishing experience. just find yourself a spot on your lake (im assuming you have a boat from the pic) with some current, like under a bridge, and start tossing. its really easy especially if you start out with the smaller ones like 3'

6. Ryan 57

Ryan 57 New Member

State:
    Illinios
    yeah the cheapest and prolly most effective way would be a cast net. If you've never thrown one you can learn in no time!

7. GotFish?

GotFish? New Member

State:
    Greenville Illinois
    Good deal .......Next trip to wally world I'll pick up a throw net .....

Yes there's a few lakes near me, Gov. Bond is the closest at about 1/2 mile .....Coffeen is 15 M ........Vandalia 25, Glen shoals 20, Carlyle 14 .......However, growing up, Smith Mountain Lake VA, the boat and dock were only 25 feet away..........funny how you can realize what you had once you look back.

Yes, the avatar boat is my baby and I love her dearly:big_smile:

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Be careful on size of the net... there is a limit in IL about the size. Without going through the regs right now... I am thinking it is 6' diameter or 3' radius... I will double check to be sure.

I did not know of the size limit when I bought my first one.

9. GotFish?

GotFish? New Member

State:
    Greenville Illinois
    I'll check into that ......thanks