Catching bait size carp.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Cuda-Cada, May 31, 2007.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    A friend and I were talking the other day about baits for flatheads. We both use mostly bream, even though we have tried others as well. We were curious about small carp and how some people in other parts of the country(we are in the southeast) use them often. We know there are big carp in the rivers we fish so there have to be small ones. Any hints on how to catch a few bait size carp? Thanks...

2. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I have been getting 8-16 inch carp on mud flats-shallow up creek in throw net very consistently this spring. When water dropped radical they moved over to current side and in 1ft riffle, just hold there facing into the current to feed. Also catch the bigger carp there too. Very predictable:cool2:. Lots of other species doing the same, but most like a little more depth. Carps like the 6inch water and dont mind the mud.

Hope that helps.

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    around spillways you can catch small carp for bait on small hooks and whole kernal sweetcorn,most average 6 to 10 inches long

4. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never heard of carp for catfish bait...This has to be the best wesite on the internet...Thank you all:smile2:

5. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    everytime before I fish, I go to two bridges at small creeks deep enough to hold fish in a branched off creek from a large river, these types of creeks are great for bait sized fish and I use a variety of small bait, like wax worms, powerbait crappie bites, small pieces of liver on a bait holder hook and small pieces of night crawlers and I fish off of the bridge, casting about 15 to 30 feet away. I have caught tons of carp and a variety of other things, giving you a variety of baits to use when you fish, but try that method for small, baitsized carp.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i will take a whole bucket of corn you can get it free if you know where to look and throw it over the mud flats around come back in an hour and start netting find alot of smaller one like that

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    there's some old fill ponds here that have huge schools of 8-10 inch carp in them cruising around. i catch them on 6 pound line and a single piece of corn.
    one thing i want to say is, they seem to be better bait catching them with a cast net. i tend to fight them too long on rod and reel and wear em out.

8. TheCatfishingBoy

TheCatfishingBoy New Member

State:
    NC
    Use crickets on a small hook with a split-shot wait about a foot-n-half away from your hook.
    Be around sluuls and in shallow water waterfalls

9. flat toad

flat toad New Member

State:
    Wv but currently in VA
    small carp make excellent bait. have used them over a pound and have got hooked up. Sauger make excelent bait also especially if there are a lot of them where you are fishing. if it legal where you are build a fish trap and use canned corn as bait. just punch abunch of holes in the can to keep it from falling throught the trap mesh