Catching bait on the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mi11er, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Well if this has been covered I am sorry, and just slap me back to the thread that it is on. But, what is the best way to go about catching baitfish on the MO river? I have been throwing my net in the slack waters and not getting anything. I have had my throw net for a very short time so I am no expert. So any tip would be great.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Try the mud flats behind the wing dykes. First try throwing in very shallow water right up on the mud. IF they are not there move off a little bit and throw again. Keep moving off until you find them. You will generally have better success if you can concentrate on the banks that the wind is blowing towards. If you have any feeder streams around you they are still holding alot of shad and mooneyes. I've been catching mine 10 feet down in the creek channels and they are still pretty thick. Plant discharge pipes, and around barges can be good too. Using that net is your best bet for catching lots of bait, and catching it fast. Once you learn where to find them, you will have your go-to spots for bait. Good Luck.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's getting difficult to find bait up here around Kansas City now that the water levels are back to normal. Several of the creeks where I usually find bait are silted in so bad that you won't be able to get a boat in them if the river drops another foot. I was out yesterday evening for a few hours and had a few moments where I wondered how I was going to get the boat back out to the river -- the trolling motor was buried in the mud and the skeg on the outboard was buried in the mud...

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been getting shad behind trail dykes here lately, the mooneyes I have been catching them on rod and reel along the channel! I hope this helps!

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

How do you go about catching mooneyes, I would like to try that one.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've been catching very large mooneyes on sabiki rigs at chain of rocks dam. They tend to be deeper than the skipjacks, so letting your rigs go down pretty deep and "slow rolling" them back in should find them for you. I have been using a half ounce sinker at the bottom of the rig. The skips are generally up higher in the water column. They arnt running hard at Chain Of Rocks, but you can get enough for a night of fishing. Any body finding any skips at Melvin Price Dam? (Alton)