Catching bait on Jordan

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Asartin, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Was wondering if anyone knew how hard it is to catch shad on Jordan lake. I've fished down there a few times but haven't found the bait yet. Any tips would be greatly appriciated, trying to take two of my buddies fishing sat.

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    At night from a boat. It's really easy. Turn on a flood light or two and give it about ten minutes. Then throw the net over the lit area of water.

Or shine a spot light across the lake, when you shine it over a school it'll look like rain on the water. Just sneak up on them.

From the bank... Not quite so easy. I've had some success with truck headlights at the boat ramp. But it ain't quick.

3. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Thanks for the info, we fished sat. and started around the mouth of the haw. Probably caught 35 or 40 threadfins and 10 gizzard shad. Only took about 45 min, so not bad in my history of how long it sometimes takes to make bait. We did catch 3 channel cats largest one being about 1.5 lbs, unfortunately they all got caught in the throw net. They got released to go make bigger fish down the road.

4. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    i also fished jordan the other night.....no luck. only caught really tiny channels. i feel like id better off fishing the creek by my house, but then ive only fished jordan a couple of times....maybe ill give it another try sometime

5. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    More time and fishing required.... Does anyone know if you can camp on any of the islands on the lake?

6. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    sure, ive done it. dont know if youre supposed to but who's gonna stop you

7. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Thanks for the info, the better half likes camping and if I can combine catfishing with camping I'm doing pretty good.:big_smile:

8. Kit

Kit New Member

State:
    NC
    My stepdad and I used to camp out there on the islands and fish all night. Noone ever bothered us.

9. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    You can camp on the islands but not legally. I have heard directly from Corps of Engineers rangers that they will and have written tickets to people doing so. I imagine NCWRC could to if they wanted to do so. You probably lessen your chances if you keep a low profile vs large group, big fire and loud music.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    How deep you fishing?

11. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    We started in the 28 to 32 ft range and moved shallower to around 18 to 23 ft. All the bait and fish we marked were in about 22 ft of water and the fish and bait were holding around 15 to 18ft. Only marked one nice fish on the bottom in 20' but it didn't like any of the baits I had out. Which was 1 shad cut in half, 1 live threadfin @ 4" long, 1 piece cut shad 1"x2", and 1 live gizzard shad @ 6" long, All rigged with threeway swivel drift rigs ranging from 6" to 24" off the bottom.

Everthing felt fishy out there, just not my day on the lake.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If fishing at night look for good size flats close to a channel.
    I wouldn't fish more then 3 foot deep water. Those channels are going to be up on the flats feeding.

I learned this a long time ago catfishing the resevoirs at night.
    Bankfishing we were casting our butts off to deep water. Way over the heads of the fish.
    When on the boat we would cast toward the bank into shallow water and just kill the fish.

Used to camp on Shearon Harris and run a trotline while we bank fished.
    Trotline picked up good fish on the first 4 or 5 hooks from the bank. The deep water hooks didnt produce nothing but the occasional runt just like the rod and reel lines we were chunking way out.

Between Shearon Harris and Jordan my largest catfish have all come out of 3 feet or less of water and a bunch of those in 18" or less.

Daytime I'm going to concentrate on channel intersections 15-25 feet deep.

Jordan is one of those lakes that if you like catching small channels for the freezer you can fill the boat up day or night in virtually any condition.
    I filled a livewell up one day with channels at Jordan using an ultralite rod and reel and a tube of crickets. That was in the middle of the day.

The key for me is fishing the flats. You'll have to wade through a bunch of dink channels and bullheads for the ocassional 8-12 pound channel on Jordan.
    The little tree covered islad out in the middle of the lake has alwats been a good spot for channels. You got close by deep water and flats all around the island. The north side has always been the best for me. Cast anywhere from 20 feet to the shore all the way to the shore.
    You'll fill a freezer in no time. Day or night.

Experiment with running a trotline from the bank to deep water.
    Gave me alot of insight into where the fish I wanted to catch really were.

Overall it's not a good catfish lake quality wise but if you are happy with numbers it's a darn good lake. It's on the bottom of my list for places to catfish UNLESS I'm wanting to tuck some away in the freezer. Then it becomes my first choice.

I very rarely fish it anymore.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  13. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    my best area has been the flats way up New Hope Creek just before all the little islands.

14. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    What would your top choice around this area for some good sized cats? I grew up on Lake Norman for 22 years until my family sold our lake house a few years back. Kind of hurt my feelings loosin the house, but I'm gettin back into freshwater again. I got the itch real bad...:wink:

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Neuse river or the Cape Fear river.
    I absolutely love the Neuse inbetween Raliegh and Smithfield.
    Aint many folks willing to paddle to go catfish. Most catfishermen aren't willing to give up the comfort of their powered boats for a one man yak.

It's a trophy fishery barely touched except by just a few that are hardcore enough to leave the kitchen sink at home, willing to take hikes, and wade sections of the river after dark.

You got about 20 miles of river you might as well say aint getting fished.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I couldn't begin to tell you how many flats over 40 pounds a small group of us pulled out of river inside the Raleigh city limits.

17. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    I got a 14' canoe, tried fishing the haw river and found out the hard way there are no catfish in the haw.:sad2: Would love to try some new water out that actually has catfish living in them...