Catching bait in pond

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catchaser1, Mar 15, 2008.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    will bream, crappie, and bullheads work for flatheads in a lake that were caught in a pond? I am sure they will, but just wondering since they are out of a different body of water

2. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Yes, they will. I prefer to use bait caught in the same body of water, but there has been many of times I have had to bring bait with me. I use storebought goldfish sometimes and they work very well. In fact, the goldfish I buy are trucked in from Arkansas and I fish in Ga.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I would be careful transfering fish from one body of water to the other. It's a good way to transfer parasites and diseases from one area to another. It's illegal here in NC to do so and I believe in other states as well. Check your local laws before doing so if you decide to go that route. I'd just try and catch whatever is in the waters you fish. They seem to work better than store bought bait or bait from other places (yes I used to do the same thing before I knew of the consequences:sad2:)

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    pond baite is ok but if you can catch the same baite out of a river or a creek they will be more lively in my opinion so hope this helps

5. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i usualy catch bait in ponds and lakes around my house ... the river i catfish its realy hard to catch bait fish in a timly manor ... it has not been a problem that ive seen the bait works equaly good for me.

6. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It's illegal here in Nebraska, bait's got to come out of the same body of water.

7. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It is illegal here in Minnesota to use gamefish (sunfish, crappie) for bait. We can use bullheads under 7 inches and I keep a bait tank with about 100 bullheads on hand ready to go. I catch them out of a couple of small ponds near my home. The work great for flatheads. So to answer your question -

will bream, crappie, and bullheads work for flatheads in a lake that were caught in a pond? You Bet!! Go gettem!!

8. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The river I fish has a baitshop just up from the boat ramp and they have there bait shipped in and they sell a ton of it. Me I like to get the bait from where I fish, be it a river or a lake.

9. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i use cut up shad

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I usually fish with gills, chubs, and suckers, all of these are found in the river but I catch them in smaller bodies of water (creeks and ponds) . It works for me andI`m sure it will for you to.

11. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heah zeboman, saw your handle, you got zebo dogs?

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a few,red /red nose and black /white chest.Do you have an interest in them?

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If you want to talk dogs send me a private message ,this thread is about catfish.

14. 50 Pounder

50 Pounder New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    bulllheadsssssssfghajwtu

15. 50 Pounder

50 Pounder New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    fqerhwrgwrgfqfqefeqef

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i like to use bullheads for bait, but anywhere i fish for flatties bullheads are not available. i catch them in community fishing lakes right along with the bream.

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    IMO I don't think it matters where it comes from. Just like buying herring, trout or shad from a bait shop, they always work fine and they are from another body of water. I often catch bait from ponds and keep them alive at home then go to Hartwell and they seem to do just as well. It sure saves time doing it that way.

-Jim-

18. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have that same problem in the main river I fish , there were bullheads a while back but their numbers have gone way down,they are almost nonexistent.

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have one question, WHAT ?

20. bullheadslayer

bullheadslayer New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use bullheads