Catching bait in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by CJSCASTER, Apr 12, 2006.

1. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

I went to Canton lake on 4/11/06 trying to catch some sand bass in the river. The sandies were there (some) but no one could catch them. What really interested me was the shad. I accidentally snagged a threadfin shad that was almost a foot long. My son and I cut him up for bait and caught 8 channels (a couple weighed about five pounds). I tried catching more shad with a cast net but didn't have any luck, although they were in the river by the thousands. Here's the question, do you guys know if these shad can be caught on rod and reel. I thought maybe a rig like you would use for small perch or something.. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

2. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    on the ark last week . 1/8 oz jig red head white body about 1 foot apart guys were catching them ( large shad) i laughrd they were calling them skip jacks . there is a diff. those were shad , i have cought them before in ark. have a day.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    These are Arkansas River Skipjack... not shad.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have caught large thread fin shad on 1/64 th oz. crappie jigs.although not regularly and not in great numbers.

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was catching gizzard shad at the crappie dock on Arcadia. I dont believe we have skipjack out here in western Oklahoma. Gizzard and threadfin shad are the main members of the herring family we have out here. I think.

6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Paul,
    Have you tried trowing your net below the dam and in the lower river? thats where ive had good success catching bait.

7. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Matt,

Those shad are in the river, from where the river empties into the lake, upstream at least a mile. I saw hundreds of them jumping out of the water behind the boat. I just couldn't seem to get any in my net. I thought i'd try snagging some or catching them on a rod and reel. I may end up going below the dam and throwing the net around there. I would sure like to catch a bunch of them. By the way, can you freeze these big shad and use them later??

Thanks

Paul

8. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Hey Albert how about freezing some of them skippies and sending em to Missouri? I'm going to have to make a trip down there. I almost went last year to fish a tournament they had down there. See ya on the water!

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Actually I think those Gizzard Shad freeze well whole. Those are what ive been using lately. If you want to get fancy you can fillet them (leave the scales on.) Then, blend the rest of their guts up. Pack the fillets in a freezer bag and use the blended guts as a marinade. Then freeze.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    BigMagic:

I usually keep a few dozen already cut into bait chunks frozen in my deep freeze... My beautiful wife don't like them in HER freezer...

Sorry... they won't keep well in the snail-mail system...

Why don't you come down for the A.C.A.T.S. Fort Smith tournament on the 22nd? The skippies will work well and probably will catch the winning stringer! (Team Moby will be using skipjack, and expects to win BIG!)