Catching bait from canoe/kayak

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by rush_60, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    If you use live bait.....
    1. Do you catch it from your canoe/kayak.

If you answered yes to #1
    2. How do you catch it.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont see how you guys do it...I was in a canoe one time and it scared me to death..I was even afraid to scrtch my head it was so tippy!

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    :smile2: You crack me up, Jack!

Actually, though canoes are about as tippy as ever, you need to try out the new SOT kayaks. With wide beam width, the initial stability is greatly improved. In fact, I get in and out of my kayak from a dock in a standing position.

Unfortunately, higher initial stability (less tippy feeling) costs you in terms of speed, tracking, and manueverability. The extra room and comfort are worth it, in my opinion. :wink:

4. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Casey,

I currently use prepared baits and lures, but I do have a dip net that I could use to catch live bait. I never use it because...I'm too lazy! :crazy:

I would get out of the boat to catch live bait for small bait near the shore. I carry a five gallon bucket behind me that is essential gear where I can throw bait, as long as I'm not storing a fresh catch there.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I have a canoe that I initially started paddle fishing from. We nick-named it Tippy canoe. My wife was the only person small enough that I could take with me, and not tip over. On my kayak I've had 6 people on it and even though I was sitting in water it was still stable.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The tip is in the eye of the beholder.
    A canoe is like getting into an unfamiliar car.
    You dont do things driving in that car like you do in one you are used to.

You may first get into a canoe and say wow this thing is all over the place but once you spend a little time with it you can lean it over to the point of almost taking water over the side and think nothing of it.
    Granted some canoes are more tippy feeling then others and some just dont like to stay upright.
    You got canoes for the experienced and the not so experienced.
    Sport canoes and touring canoes. Each one has different characteristics.
    Some are laker canoes and some made for faster waters.
    Biggest problem I see with alot of canoes is that the seats are up too high putting the center of gravity too high. Thats where you get that sinking feeling from.:smile2:

7. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I apologize for hijacking Casey's thread, but this is an interesting topic.

One kayaker said it well when he said that floating a kayak or canoe is much like riding a bicycle. He went on to state that the great error many make at boat demos is to pick the most stable one rather than the one that is truly best for you. You will quickly adjust to the boat, and if you picked it for initial stability alone, you will soon despise it for all the right reasons!

Your first time in any canoe or kayak will usually be either frightening or thrilling, but not reassuring!

On the other hand, I feel that a fishing kayak needs significant initial stability for most people. The reason? You will aim to spend more time fishing than paddling; if not, don't buy a SOT made for fishing.

While fishing, I will be in various positions that will send me into the water if the kayak is not stable enough. I'm not speaking about a lack of secondary stability, which would cause the kayak to roll, but simply the fact that reflex action to the feeling that I'm going to tip becomes a distraction to fishing itself.

I have, at times, wished for a kayak that would track a little better going with the wind, or perhaps that would travel a little farther with each stroke, but I remind myself that I do have a kayak that I can stand in if I have to, and one where I crawl all over retrieving tackle or tools, setting up the camera for pictures, hauling in a fish, relaxing while eating lunch...all without fear of going over or dropping gear over the side.

8. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    First of all I generally catch bait before I get in the boat.

I have fished from a Canoe for years and just bought a pair of 9' sit on top Kayaks this year. They are a BLAST. I have not tryed standing up in one to fish but I bet I could if I was carful. They are very stable and and only weight 38 lbs. The first time I was on the water in one the wind was blowing about 20-30 mph. I headed down wind and thought I was going to have a heck of a time getting back. As it turned out a yak handles MUCH better in the wind than a canoe and I had no problems heading back. I came back across the middle of the small lake I was on bucking waves and taking spray over the bow. I never even came close to tipping it. It was a blast.
    I agree with what was said above about once you get used to a canoe they are pretty stable. Also makes a big differance if the person in the boat with you is experienced. My older brother and I spent enough time in one to be a pretty good team and we never turn one over. I once landed a 40 lb Flathead in swift water out of a canoe with him handling the boat. Might not have been the brightest thing to do but we got-er-done.
    Anyway with a little experience you can do some pretty amazing things in a small boat. Cheap fun, Don,t need gas and good excersize.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate to hijack the thread also because I am interested in catching bait from my yak. I have an ultimate native that I can stand up in pretty easy I wonder how hard it would be to throw a cast net from it? Anyone tried by chance?

As far as the canoe/yak stability is concerned I would recommend looking at the Native Watercraft Ultimate series if you are not going to be dealing with the ocean. They have the advantages of a canoe, the space of a canoe, the comfort and stability of a kayak and you can stand up and fish from em. I couldn't be happier with mine.

10. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    The Ultimate is indeed an outstanding craft. I had a difficult time chosing between the Ultimate and the Redfish. I went with the Redfish because of price/value at the time.

I figure if you can easily flyfish from an Ultimate, you ought to be able to do just about anything! :big_smile:

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I kinda got the best of both worlds. I bought an Ultimate and my buddy bought a Redfish. He lives in an apartment and leaves the Redfish at my house so I can use it whenever I like!

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Yes I catch bait from my kayak.
    I use sabiki rigs or a 6 foot cast net from the yak. Lots of the guys down here throw cast nets either from shore , wading or from the yak.

13. yakdievr

yakdievr New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have the cadilac of sot kayaks,(ha ha) the Malibu X-factor. I can easily stand and cast rod/reel. Now I have thrown my casting net from the yak but it is way easier to catch somewhere of the bank (spillway) then transfer to yak. Throwing a net with exposed rods is a pain, not to mention the mess of sorting bait. Sometimes I will even catch bait a day in advance then keep them in a cooler with some shad saver or similar product, this way or just getting up earlier and going to my secret shad hole works best for me. Good luck hope I helped!