Catching bait for the weekend!!

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by coolarrow2, Jan 3, 2007.

1. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    :lol: Well My buddy and I put out 8 perch traps Monday afternoon and when we ran them yesterday we had 40 baits. We reset the traps and if we keep this pace we will have plenty bait for the weekend. The cat's should be biting good with all the water in the river. Anyone else got a trip planned for the weekend?

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I'll be one Lake Lewisville, doing a little prefishing, checking a few spots. Tournament is the 20th. Gonna start setting traps this weekend.
    What do you bait them with?

3. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cotton seed cake/ cheese cake mix blocks right now but I use bread, range cubes and dog food when I don't have the bait. I get it from the fish net company in LA.

4. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Up to 129 baits in three days of running the traps. Counting down the hours now!! :smile2:

5. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Last two years, that is up til mid summer 06, I had a really sweet perch area. Could cane pole up to 40 perch an hour or cast net them. Now, there's almost nothing in that creek but tilapia. Late 05 started catching a few tilapia now and then. This past spring started getting more and bigger ones. The creek now has no vegetation in it and no perch bigger than 2 inches.
    You setting those traps in a pond somewhere? I mean, you're not getting those perch from the Trinity are you? I've tried trapping them in Lake Houston but with very limited results. Set 3 traps in Luce bayou but two days later I only had two traps (someone liberated one of them). I have two 100 gal aquariums and a 300 gal fiberglas bait tank in the barn but no perch.... legally I'm not supposed to use these tilapia for bait but most of the lakes around here are full of them already.

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    BG, we catch the perch in local ponds around where I live, oilfeild ponds. We did not do really all that good last weekend. One flat that was 24lbs and three blues the biggest was 9.5lbs. We did have three pull off's, Two 9/0 hooks pulled straight. Due to the cold weather comming in we will not fish for a week or two. We will let the fish calm down a little.

7. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Apologize for long delay - took granddaughter javalina hunting for a few days.
    I have 3 perch traps that work well (when I have somewhere to put them). When I was a lease member up on Dolan pits used to get plenty of perch out of those bar pits/ditches. Unfortunately place is limited to members only. Checked with a bait store for perch today and they only had 3 left at 20 cents each. Guy wasn't sure when his supplier would be back with more. Just before going hunting went down and cast netted some tilapia. Put them in my bait tank and left town. Came back today to tank of dead fish - what a stinking mess. Later --- tried to PM you but I need to get up to that minimum of 10 posts. Later/ml

8. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    I will be comming down the 1st of Feb and staying until late march and plan ondoing a lot of fishing, I havent been thier in about 15 years but I am sure it wont let me down never has and never will I hope

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    what part of texas u comin to?

10. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    I will be comming to a place called NewCaney off of h-way 59, Just north of Kingwood and Humble

11. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    New Caney is close to Lake Houston and not too far from Conroe so you will be set.

12. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    1hws - how to make contact? I'm just south of New Caney on FM1485 and fish L Houston regularly. I mostly fish with the grandkids and may not know how to act with another adult.
    Re post here if interested in jugging for cats.

13. catfish dreams

catfish dreams New Member

State:
    Huffman texas
    Been doing good on Lake Houston lately. I mainly Rod@reel fish and the last 2 weeks have taken about 30 cats from 27# to 5# in size.

14. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lookout! The boat has all the kinks worked out! And I'm fishing this wkend whether I want to or not! But of course', I want to! New fuel lines, fresh rebuild, new filters. New cast net, good trailer tags and a fresh fuel pump in the van! ( The Ford fuel pump was only $412.00, and my labor!)Hopefully, nothing else goes wrong or I will just freaking lose it!The weather looks good for the weekend, the river is still running so the fish will be biting.Big blue in my belly!!!That's what I'm talkin' bout'!!

15. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well it sounds like you got it wipped RudeTech, Where you going to launch? If they get the Hwy 90 ramp dug out I will be doing some fishing for sure but if they don't I'm not sure. I might run down to the corp ramp and run back up river and hit some spots. Man does the river look good though!! Just like a brand new place to fish! I love it after a big flood and I have to find the fish all over again! This all about the challange to me. Might see you this weekend. I drive a white Ford 4X4 and I have a 16' G-3 with a 40hp yamaha, I got a picture of a big flathead on the wind sheild.