Catching bait carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Cuda-Cada, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I fish the Altamaha River in Ga. I see large carp all the time coming up to the top and splashing. I wanted to try to catch some smaller(1-2 pounds) for bait. I thought of fishing the slews/small lakes that run off the river. I figured I would bait an area with some corn then try fishing around it. Does this sound like a good idea to try or is there a better way to fish for the smaller ones? Thanks...

2. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    whre theres big ones theres gotta be small ones...I would recomend a cast net

3. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I was kinda wondering the same thing, as I see a lot of them myself swimming around the banks of the Ohio. The ones I usually see are around 15" long or so. I wonder if it'd be better to fish for them straight on the bottom or on a float set to a particular depth?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Corn is a great all around bait for carp. Funny I cant ever remember catching one under 3 lbs in my life,And I've caught a bunch. They work well as a cut bait too,just scale,leave the skin on ,fillet and cut into sizes you need,the skin is tough .

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i gotta disagree with this one.. i caught a mirror carp maybe 4-5 lbs in my cast net one time by accident.. tore the heck outta my net.. and that was just 1 in there.. cant imagine what more than one would do..

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was thinking the same thing!! could'nt imagine what a 10lb. carp would do to one!!

7. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Bob,
    I've got to agree with 223 reload, I used to fish for carp a lot as a child with corn being the main bait I used and I don't remember ever catching one under 3 lbs. I know there are some fish farms down that way, all you need now is a pond to stock some small ones in.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wish i had a stock tank full of em 4 -10 inches lol