catching bait at night

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by bigmac, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    i was told by a catfish guide on Grand lake that shad will always come to the shallow water at night no matter how cold it is and that is when he goes to catch all his bait and always gets what he needs. Wondering if anybody else knows anything about this? Reason is,i spent 4 1/2 hrs on the verdigris river yesterday afternoon trying to locate shad and only caught a couple the whole time. Most were deep and even tore a net up trying to get some. if anyone has some good ideas on the best way to catch them right now i am definately open to suggestions. thanks

2. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    hey welcome to the BOC! well i had a bit of the same trouble last couple days.... most of wat i know is on lakes, such as the bait will follow the wind into coves so thatl be your first bet. as far as them comming shallow even in this weather im not sure but they'll be some more answers comin for ya.. great question

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome aboard the BOC Bryant.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cant help ya with the shad, but welcome to the B.O.C.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Are you hunting threadfin or gizzads ? We have both here,,not sure if you do. They arent caught the same way ; )

-Jim-

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good question Bryant. Welcome to the BOC.

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hmm, ask exactly how shallow and where to show you , i explained in another thread how theyll do that in the shallows right up on the bank right before a good shad kill to try to warm up but only for a few days wonder if thats what he was talking about , i guess i guy should go try huh, who was the guide if i may ask????

8. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    Yah the guides name is rusty Prichard and he guides with team catfish. I went fishing with him on grand lake this past fall and had an exceptional day we Caught three over 45lb, blues that is and several more that were over ten lbs .anyways he said that he always goes at night and it's always the same every time no water what the temperature or time of year . I just talked with him o. The phone two nights ago and he said that's what he's doin right now and it only takes about an hour to get all his bait. Even said they came up to 5 ft. Of water. I think I'll give it a try though can't hurt.

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    hmm, never heard of him, i'm sure location would play a role, wonder what area of the lake are you talking about? i have been getting my shad in 30ft to 50ft this time of year, anyways let us know if it works, and welcome to the boc

10. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    thanks for the welcome Ill give it a try and see if it works and let you know

P.S. the only time i fished with him he put in near honey creek and we drifted around governors island. other than that i didnt ask him what area he has been catching them at. if i talk with him again ill ask him

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    I was actually going after gizzard Shad but to be honest ididnt know there was a different way to catch the two of them, threadfin and gizzard that's is
    I just started to catch my own bait this year so I don't know alot about the two or their patterns. Would appreciate the info on how they differ though because we do have both kinds in our systems. Thanks

12. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC Bryant and great post.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I will leave the gizzards up to someone else because in my lake ( not the rest of our lakes ) they are hard to catch. When caught its around bridges, rip rap, and shallow water, around 5' and less.

But the threadfins are easy. I prefer water around 20' in a creek or cove at night. Just drop any crappie light, I use the floating white Styrofoam ones, into the water where you are marking them. Within minutes or up to 30 minutes they will be swarming around your boat in a circle, literally by the thousands. We also cast net our bluebacks the same way.

Biggest thing is to make sure your marking threadfin...not them little minnows that seem to be everywhere also.

Its basically the same way the bait catchers get all their bait...at night under sodium lights...I just use a smaller light.

You can also just mark fish and blind throw if ya want or watch for them flickering around the surface.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  14. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the info. I've always wondered about putting lights out like that. I'll have to give that a try next week. P.S. What lakes do you usually fish I'd like to try some new ones. I've only tried catfishing keystone, grand, and the verdigris

15. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    i fish grand and hudson, oolagah, gibson, webbers, kerr, and the rivers, eucha, spavinaw, sometimes hulah and copan, when i visit family there, and all the other lakes when i'm working out of state, i fish alot of waters

16. bigmac

bigmac New Member

State:
    OK
    wow that is alot of water. Somebody else that fished a bunch of those same lakes told me they liked oolagah the best cause they thought it held more cats than the others; wonder if thats true. ? has anybody done much catfishin on eufalla , i was wonderin if that lake was good cause im down there alot on business

17. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Eufaula is known as a good catfish lake also. It can hold it's own against any of 'em.

As with the others, it helps to know where to find them at the time of year you're fishing. I've only fished the Spring and Summer on Eufaula. My favorite is during the spawn when they move up on the rip-raps.

18. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

bigmac, you'll find Eufaula and Oolagah, and Gibson and even Keystone to have some mighty nice cats. Also, myself, my favorite place is webbers fall.

19. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well yeah it is, but i'm not sure why that post was in this thread, that was supossed to have been somewhere else, oh well