Catching at the Colorado River

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Snagged2, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    HI ever'body.
    Just spent 2 nights on the Colorado , Had a bit of luck, in the backwaters.. the main chanel produced nothing for me, however, the water is very clear, but, a lot lower than I'm used to... might have something to do with fishing,,,

Anyhow, had a bit of success, as I'd never fished this late in the year before,,

First night caught 2 missed one, and second night caught one, and missed two..

COLD at night,, nice during the day

Attached Files:

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    you up at blythe, right? if back water, was it below 10? i fish down at yuma and fish seem to have lockjaw down here. hate the sand bars up at blythe. seems i find every one every time i go up there. LOL
    ever come down to yuma area, imperial dam, let me know. like to hook up with ya.
    gary

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, The Blythe area.. one of the BOC members in the area showed me a few nice backwater areas, and that's where I caught these fish.. I tried the main chanel and ws very uneventful, and I'd say from looking at the river, that sandbar action would be way up, as the river is way down,,,
    I'd really like to fish the Yuma section, I've always heard it was a premier flathead section!!
    Thx, Greg

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    honestly, seems like the bite has slowed down now for flatheads, but the river is still there and fish are still there. least down in this area. maybe cause i haven't been able to get out for months now so out of practice.
    but for whatever, ment what was offered. get down to this area, and glad to show you around. all sorts of back water, main river, few deep holes, ect. i'm old, retired, grouchy, and like to drink beer and fish catfish. catching is extra and makes me happy.
    gary
    oh, have boat and know river pretty well between martinez lake and imperial dam.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks,
    I've been known to take folks up on stuff,,, Been wanting to take a look at that area for some time now.. Will have to see what's going on in the next few.......

I'll try and figure out what's going on with my "schedule" and go from there. and again, thank you for the invite.:big_smile:

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice work up there Greg. I have not been able to get out down here with the exception of looking for some crappie a while back. My buddy sold his pontoon in prep for moving to Japan so Im on the look out for one of my own. Im gonna keep looking for some cats this winter myself but like Gary says, I know that the river can produce some really annoying sand bars this time of year...

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    yepper,
    As low as the main channel looked, I'd say the sand bars were about 18" underwater, I didn't actually check it, but, in the summer you can see people that are floating downriver get off there tubes and be standing waist deep out in the middle, and it's a lot lower now.....

I was a bit disappointed I couldn't interest any cats from the main channel, tried floating some bait into some holes and did the usual plunk in , but, nothing on any kind of bait.

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Greg, Hey thanks for the pic. Glad you were able to make to the river. The one larger flat must have topped the 15# mark. At least it seems you got 3 or 4 runs an evening, were they on live bait? I met up with Lonny on Thurs. evening and we have a good evening on his pontoon.I will post a pic and report for Roosevelt....Mike

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Mike,
    Glad you got out, sounds like you had some luck, anxious to see pics and hear the story..
    Yep the biggin was right at 14, didn't weigh the smaller ones..
    I'm trying to store some bait down here, so I have some next time I go to Rosey!!
    Like to try the boat sometime also, sounds like a better presentation situation,,
    later, Greg

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The canal bite I have found to be better than the main river this past season. If you talk to a lot of the locals, the canal areas is where they tend to lean more towards. I did not fish the main river this season but know of a few that did and the action I found was better in the canals area unless you happened to be on a good hole on the main river. If you was fishing the area I think you were fishing than you was in one of the good spots. I caught 2 big ones and another guest caught a 30. I lost about 4 other biggies due to obstruction. All from April to August. Nice size Tilapia seemed to perform the best for me this past season.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Brian,
    I did a lot of fishing this year so far, both main chanel and back waters.... sometimes one or the other would produce. The main chanel is somewhat fickle due to level fluctuations I think.. I tried several different "favorites" and was up and down.. Still learnin',,,,

The back water spots and alternate waters have had the best acton, Like you, I've had some excitement with some unsuccessful encounters with the flatcats..
    Looking to expand my mainchannel spots next year,,, still lookin for a Monster!!
    But, it's good to know about the other areas, for sure.

I tried some local water here lately and am anxious to keep workin' on that as well, thanks to some great BOC mambers,, Hillbilly and AZcataholic,, and others..

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I am looking to expand as well. I learned the Blythe area, fished strickly Palo Verde this past season, and I am working my way further south to Yuma area. The River is too long and has so many possibilities to just rely on one area. I will still fish Blythe and Palo Verde but will really look into spreading out to more areas - both main and canal areas.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    My feelings exactly.... maybe we can join forces sometime against these notorious bait thieves!!!:big_smile:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats brother, thanks for sharing your success with us

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Anytime. Come April I make 2 trips a month to the river all thru summer.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Brian,
    Sounds great, Will look forward to that..:big_smile: Try and get some trips in ..