Catching and keeping skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Sonny Kemp, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    I,m new at this but from what I gather on here skipjack are the bait of choice for blues.How do you catch them and whats the proper way to keep them?I see a lot of people talking about going to the dams and steam plants to catch them.Is that about the only way to get them?Im fishing the Cumberland downstream from Dover bridge.Thanks a lot for ANY help.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Sonny! Somebody else will give you firsthand info about the Cumberland Steam Plant, but I drive over to Pickwick from Little Rock to get my skipjack. And we're having a gathering there the weekend of the 19th! If you come down and join us, I can guarantee you an enjoyable weekend. There's nothing like a BOC gathering!!!

3. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have been having success on blugills cut in half. The bigger the gill the better. I have not tried skipjacks. Not much moving water where I am.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Skipjacks love rushing waters that's why you find them below hydro plants and dams in the swift water.

You can catch them using a sabiki rig or you can tie on three of four small jigs on your line and sometimes catch them that way. The crappie jigs of choice is usually the white curly tail with a red head jig or a chartruese curly tail with the same jig.

Hope this helps.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    We usually fish for skipjacks during the cold weather months and stock up on them. On the days they're running, you can catch as many as you want in the hot water outlet at Cumberland City Steamplant. During warmer weather you can find them pretty much only in the very swift water below the catwalk. We do better during the summer months at Cheatham Dam in the late evenings. Fishing right in the fast water coming of the turbines if they're running, if not then along the walls where the shad seem to congregate. The best way we've found to store them is to put them in food saver bags. Seem to be fresh as when we bagged them when we need them. Hope this helps.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    before putting up in those freezer bags it is good to individually wrap them in saran wrap. This way when you go fishin you don't have to thaw out the whole bag just take out one or two cause the saran wrap will keep them from freezin together.