Catching American Channel Catfish in Russia

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by 2fat, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    2fat and Flat Top like this.
  2. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    My mistake.

"Advanced catfishing made simple"
    "Cracking the channel catfish cod"
    By Brad Durick.

That Doug Strange has one but can't think of the name. It is better yet. He came up with the run rifle hole theroy.

3. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
  4. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    [Цитата= "Боббикэт, сообщение: 3351566, участник: 198846"] Привет Денис,
    Здесь очень много полезной информации:
    https://www.catfishedge.com/ [/цитата]

Hello Bob, thanks! Be sure to study this resource.

Flat Top likes this.
  5. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    Hello Bill, thanks! Tom gave me a direct link to these books.

Flat Top likes this.
  6. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Denis; Do you eat catfish?

7. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
  8. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    Hello George! I like the canal catfish, it is fatty and has tender meat, my wife also likes it, but we only ate it two times, when I managed to catch it in the bycatch to the main prey. In general, I enjoy eating European catfish meat, especially like smoked!

Flat Top likes this.
  9. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Me too!!! I only keep one or two 15 to 24" cats on a good day. anything smaller or larger is released. We fry it, bake it, BBQ and smoke it...its all GOOD!!!!!

tut and 2fat like this.
  10. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    I agree with you, very tasty))!

Flat Top likes this.
  11. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    Hello anglers friends! I want to tell you about my experience in catching channel catfish. More precisely, the experience is zero. For all the time that I did not write on the forum, there were more than 20 trips to the river, I still did not succeed in catching catfish. I came across a wide variety of fish, but not catfish ...! I caught crucian carp, caught, sabrefish, caught rudd, caught carp, caught perch, caught tench ... I tried a variety of baits, from earthworm, pickled corn, chicken breasts with fruit jelly and chicken liver, to homemade dough with garlic, cotton balls and red pepper, the middle part of the white fish with guts, but I never caught a normal size catfish, the size is not more than 10 centimeters. I think this is due to the species diversity. Even got stuck trying to leave the river)) How do you think, maybe it is worth trying the bait that will be of interest only to the natural catfish? Maybe you should try to cook something from banged bait or smelly bait? I ask for advice!

Attached Files:

Flat Top and Bobbycat like this.
  12. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    In general, channel catfish eat almost everything you tried. It looks catfish cannot flourish in your river area on unknown reasons. But try stinky bait for catfish
    https://www.catfishedge.com/homemade-catfish-bait
    Another option is maggot. They work well for many fish species. I use them frequently, if I cannot find night crawlers in dry summer season.
    Thanks for beautiful pictures!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  13. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Denis; At least you are catching fish!!! Like Bob said, try some commercially sold stink bait. I have used it where turtles are a problem and it seems to do a good job on the channel cats. Also, another trick you may try is chumming. Go fishing and at the end of the day fill an old sock with fish entrails, liver, blood, meal time leftovers, rancid meat...anything that you can find. Tie off the top of the sock, then tie a line on the sock so you can retrieve it. Throw it in the water, let it soak over night, and go back the next day a see if you can catch any cats that may be in the vicinity of the chum sock. If that doesnt work I would change spots and give it another try.

I have had the same thing happen to me....lots of fish but no cats....when that happens its time to try a new spot.

2fat and Bobbycat like this.
  14. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    Hello Bob! I will definitely study the recipes at your link. All the small catfish that were caught, the bait was exactly a fly larva, maggot. The tackle of the ksati was on your advice with the addition of a carp feeder.

Flat Top likes this.
  15. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    Hello George! You are right, in any case I fish and it brings me pleasure! Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to buy any commercial bait, since they simply do not produce them. I'll try to use your light with a sock filled with fish trash and study the recipes from the link that Bob provided.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Bobbycat and Flat Top like this.
  16. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

State:
    Cental Oregon
    Name:
    Don Fischer
    Most my catfishing has been bull heads but started targeting channels this year. Lived right here 30+yrs and found out this year the nearby river has channels in it. For bull heads I always used beef liver. I tried chicken liver and couldn't keep it on the hook. So tried beef and it stay's on great and catch's bull heads. I suspect it will do channels too and no problem keeping it on the hook. But around here problem is finding beef liver Plenty of calf liver but to soft and hard to keep on the hook. I watched a bunch of you tube video's on making catfish bait and am pretty sure it doesn't matter what you throw them, they will eat it! One thing I never tried on bull head or channels is night crawler's, worms. My son swear's by them though! I found a video using chicken breast and tried it, been fine so far. I cut the breast into pieces for bait, powder it well with garlic powder, add some water and olive oil and strawberry kool aide. Hard to find strawberry kool aide here so I used strawberry jam the first batch, worked well. Next batch I used stuff called strawberry chrystal light and worked! Then found some strawberry kool aide and tried it. Really turned the breast red! But it also worked! Went down this evening and used the breast again but no oil and very little water and the crystal light, fished about half an hour and got a 22" cat!
    Not so sure there's anything they won't eat! Shrimp was suggested and I tried some but didn't do any good. Something I'm finding with the chicken breast is after a couple days, it just seems to not work any more so now two days and I throw it away and start fresh. This evening a local guy gve me a frozen beef liver to use. Gonna thaw it out and giv it a go, works great on bull heads probably work on channels too. Oh, bull heads are cats also but generally don't get very big but taste great! a 15" bull head is a big fish. On the other hand the channels we are catching down the river are generally 18+". Tonight's fish was 22", never seen a bull head that big!

There was a learning curve for me and that was learning to wait for the channel to find me. With the bulls, you found one and generally found a bunch and not a lot of waiting for bites. These channels take a bit to find your bait and I had to learn to be patient!

17. Ryan89

Ryan89 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Ryan Depoister
    are you for sure there is cats in your part of the river? i ask cause id that river chain is large who knows were they could be. what I'm trying to figure out is if they no longer release fish that they could die off.

Вы уверены, что в вашей части реки есть кошки? я спрашиваю причину, что речная цепь большая, кто знает, где они могли бы быть. что я пытаюсь понять, так это если они больше не выпускают рыбу, которую они могли бы отмереть.

18. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

State:
    Cental Oregon
    Name:
    Don Fischer
    I'm guessing that bottom is same as the top but in Russian That is really nice! Never seen anyone do that before.

Flat Top likes this.
  19. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    Don Fischer Patience, I understand, but I want action! I will pick up the bait, I am glad that there are many options for such a bait.

Flat Top likes this.
  20. 2fat

2fat Member

State:
    RUSSIA
    Name:
    Denis
    Ryan89 I am absolutely sure that the channel catfish is present! Several years ago I fished a catfish downstream, but at the moment it is not possible to drive to that part of the river. A month earlier, an acquaintance caught a catfish weighing about 800 grams upstream. There is a warm canal, in which the water does not cool below 13 degrees Celsius in winter, but it is practically located at the other end of the city and it is very problematic to go fishing there due to traffic jams. The steppe part of the river before the confluence with the Sea of Azov has many tributaries in which catfish is also abundant, and, according to the testimony of friends, weighs more than 1 kilogram. So there is a catfish and I need to understand how to catch it, so I'm here! The thing is that nobody catches it purposefully in our country, everyone who caught it caught the catfish in the form of a bycatch, but I want to work out the tactics of catching the channel catfish.

Flat Top likes this.