catching alot of Gars while catfishing. What to do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatCatcher, Aug 5, 2008.

1. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    The last couple of weeks theres been alot of gars striping and chewing on my bait.How do you guys handle gars? Do they feed side by side with catfish? Is this not a good catfishing spot because of the gars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Gars love cut bait and live bait as much as cats do. You might try going to some different kinds of baits or fish deeper to get under the gar.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    If you want to catch them you can attach a stinger treble hook to the end of the bait, otherwise move to a different location and fish deeper (already mentioned). I personally dont like them to much because they tend to chew up my hard caught bait, but on the bright side maybe they are really just dispersing more blood/scent into the waters?:smile2:

BTW they are serious fighters, I had one on for about a minute and it was a doozy!

Bill

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Were having the same problem right now with the gars. I dont know what to do. If you can catch some bullheads and fish with them, the gar dont mess with them as much as bluegills or cutbait. Just because there is gar in your spot doesn't mean that there isn't any catfish. Just keep after them and leave the gar out of the water.:eek:oooh:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to recommend just finding a new hole!! There seems to be no getting rid of the gar, once they occupy a hole

6. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    An old commercial fisherman told me that gars feed in the daylight and cats feed at night. He said that they are often in the same place at different times. Are you fishing after dark?

7. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    If I'm geting my shad stripped by gar or see quite a few surfacing I'll usually move if we're not catching cats even fishing prepared bats. Once I get away from the gar, we'll typically start catching more cats.