Catching a State or World Record Fish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Jul 5, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Okay, i know every state has a " state record for all species", and of course there is also a world record..My question is, if you happen to hook into a state or world record cat, would you get anything, do you get money from interviews, would you get bombarded with calls from sports magazine, or news papers or news stations..Do they offer money for your story, or maybe even the actuall fish..This was something i was thinking about last night..Can anyone maybe give me some details, or even just what you guys think would happen if you were lucky enough to catch a record of some kind...???

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I think catching the world record catfish would be a reward by itself.

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    mourn likely they wouldnt give much. the magazines would but probably not the state. ugh you would mourn likely give the fish to a museum with a big aquarium like they did with that 110 pound blue catfish down in lake texoma in texas! they chances of catching a state/world record is pretty slim!

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    The good news is that it leads to the beginning of your 15 minutes of fame. The bad news is just as everything else, pay only comes by the hour and you're 3/4 of that short of the goal.

I think you just get to either keep the fish and endure the CPR people or let it go and endure the phone calls from the "keeper" people.
    :lol:

5. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I'd just take a picture and throw it back in. Make sure to get a picture of the weight reading on the scale though. :lol:

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First step for me would be to wake up. :)

If I really did catch one, I would have be calling the MDC (Missouri Department of Conservation) pert quick since they keep track of the records here. They would also know who to contact for world record possibilities.

I do know that it depends on the species. Pretty soon I am going to be targetting the state record for long-nosed gar in Missouri. I won't get much of anything for that, but the record is only 27# and I have seen quite a few in the waters that I fish that go more than that. This weekend I did manage a 20#, but was catfishing.

Getting a state (or world) record for largemouth or smallmouth bass will get you much more than a record cat though. :(

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I have to agree that it's all about the species in your state. Here a catfish would probably be no more than a feather in your cap financially, but you could certainly bring up the level of awareness regarding the species from a conservation/sporting platform. After all you would be the state/world record holder. Not that it makes you the guru for catfishing, but people will certainly listen to what you have to say. It's just human nature, so I think some good could come out of it if you played your cards right.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Sure money would be nice, but I really wouldn't care about that. If I did catch a record I would want the credit for it. I don't think I could just release it back without getting it certified. Call me selfish but I would definitely like credit for cathcing a monster. I would do everyhting in my power to keep it alive. Any record catfish in the big three in the US wouldn't be a fish I would care to eat.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

LOL...Arlington, you are THE MAN