catchin minnows

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by justwannano, May 19, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Anyone got any tips on minnow trapping?
    I use a couple of boughten minnow traps, Here in Iowa the entrance has to be 1 " or smaller.
    I've tried many kinds of bait and settled on dry dog food.
    I trap local creeks, mostly the one that runs through this property and only catch maybe a half dozen at a time. Its a fairly large creek and runs around 30 miles from my house to its mouth on the Skunk river. There is another 10 miles or so above me. There are carp and some bullheads around here and redhorse in the lower end.
    It ought to be a pretty good place to catch minnows but I just don't catch many.
    Its too full of crap to use a cast net and I still haven't got the hang of throwing that thing yet anyway. Back when I was a kid I'd have waded with a net but at 60+ I guess I don't want to get my feet wet anymore. LOL And waders are a pain too.
    Anybody got and ideas?

have a good one
    just

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use minnow traps and seines and umbrella nets. if you have a way where you can get above the water, like above a culvert, you can bait the net. i tie off a small piece, usually the toe, of some panty hose. i put white bread in it. after i dipp it in the water, i squeeze it where the mush is coming out, then drop it in the water. give it about 20 minutes, then lift the net quickly. i can catch around 500 minnows in an hour of doing this. if you have a safe place to set the trap where it won't get stolen, try the panty hose thing in a minnow trap, but tie the bait in the middle of the trap. i have watched schools of minnows sit outside of a trap and pick at the bread that was in the trap. you have to make them come inside or they are just getting a free meal and you are wasting your time. i catch river shiners and fathead minnows, and ghost minnows in the leate summer at night. all great bait! hope this helps bud!

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thanks.
    I do have an umbrella net but the trap is just so easy to use.
    You might just have come up with the answer with the panty hose in the middle. The dry dogfood holds together really well, thats why i use it, but it usually floats so they do get a free meal.
    I'll give that a try.
    thanks again
    just

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use a slice of onion & a piece of bread in mine and it always works great for us!!! We always get plenty of chubs & minnows.:big_smile::wink:

5. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I find that it helps to close off the upstream end of the trap with twigs and such, they cant get out as easy going downstream as the can going upstream.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep i think once you try the hose you will greatly improve your catch, I also just use a handful of the dog food but put it into cheesecloth and then a bag I made of old window screen :wink: another thing to is cut you hole out to about 3-4 inches and use it for some of them bullhead, works well also, just hang an old gizzard in it for the bullhead, great Flathead bait!

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a seine to catch my minners and crawdads.

8. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Use corn meal mixed heavily in cream cheese or peanut butter. Purina fish feed works really well as well as cotton seed cake. Find a sand bar about knee deep put trap slighty tilted up to down stream side throw a handfull of corn meal to bait sand bar upstream of trap. Bait with the cornmeal mixture. Cream cheese or peanut butter mixed with the corn meal this holds up really well. Use pieces of netting that onions come in or fine mesh cloth. This produces the best results for me anyway. You may have to move around alot until you figure out where to set your traps. Good Luck