Catchin' Bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welkmeister, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    How many times (if any) have you guys geared up for a good fishing trip only to get there and not find any bait? Do you have a "Plan B" bait when you can't catch it that day?

I'm trying to set up for Mississippi fishin but haven't got there yet. My trips are limited and time is too so I want to be assured of the best chance to catch fish when I finally get to go, thus my question on bait!!

2. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    welcome to the b.o.c. larry, i fish the mississippi i use skip jack, if i cant get any fresh ones i always have some frozen ones with me, same with big shad, i try to get enufe bait to last all winter.... good luck out there

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you go to the river expecting not to find bait, you probably won't. Go there prepared to spend the time necessary and you'll probably find plenty of bait.

I've never cancelled a trip yet because of lack of bait -- came real close once last summer below Truman dam (had my 10-year-old in the boat and after 3 hours, his patience and mine were wearing thin), but that's about it.

The 65 lb blue in my avatar came after spending more than 2 hours looking for bait.

Some days it goes like that. Some days you get more bait than you could possibly use in a single throw of the net -- yesterday was one of those days. I caught more than 200 shad in the first throw of the day (granted, that was on Truman Lake and not the river, but the principle is the same...)

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you can freeze all the bait you need and thus save yourself a lot of time on the water. But if we all agree that there's nothing better than fresh bait, why would you want to compromise and use frozen bait? I'd sooner stay home. (Skipjack may be the one exception to that rule, however, as they *do* seem to work well after being frozen. Shad? Not so much.)

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Larry Welcome! I know how you feel about the bait issues. Living in Perryville you are not that far from KY Dam. There are a good number of skipjack below that dam to catch. It is always nice to have a backup bait when you head out, just incase bait is hard to come by. Just put them in bags and freeze um up. For catching shad, right now they are holding up around water discharges, or up in the creeks. I dont know that water very well down there but it takes a little while out there to find them but when you do you will have a bait spot that you can usually find some bait in whenever you go. Good luck and tight lines Larry!

5. rivercatter

rivercatter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    welcom Larry, Perry county lake is full of shad most of the year. If you have a boat just run up to one of the air pipes under water and throw out your net. I have went with other people out there and it took two of us to bring in the net. Good luck, and good fishing.

6. ron

ron New Member

State:
    mo
    larry went fishing on the mississippi this year for the first time at tunica fish the mo river all my life can alway get bait! after thowning net for about two hours no feeling in arm ,wife looking at me like i'm a loser with NO plan b i finally neted a 10 pd carp cut him up and put in the cooler caught alot of blues ps always have plan B

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I never have a plan B. I go out with no bait. If that means throwing the net for 3 hours well then thats what I do. I throw a 8 foot net with 1 pound of lead per foot. It's a cheap gym workout if you ask me. :cool2:

PS. Buy the biggest net you can throw it helps. The more area you cover with a net the better your odds are of getting bait on them tough days.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm with T. Do your best to learn how the bait holds depending on the time of year, and get good at finding it. Fresh bait is ALWAYS better and will put alot more fish in the boat. Properly vacuum packed skipjack herring is a very nice plan B to have if bait gets tough to find and you only have a little bit of time for the river. In my humble opinion, those days that it gets almost impossible to find bait, those are the days that you NEED it the most. If you have trouble finding it, so will the fish, and you will find both of them together. (usually :wink:) Tough Bait days, usually mean pretty good fishing, but its certainly not a hard and fast rule. Like Josh said, get a decent net, and get good at throwing it. Coming into winter time, you'll find the bait fish down deep behind the wing dykes. If your lucky enough to get a nice warm afternoon during the winter time, the bait will usually go shallow on the banks the wind is blowing towards. Steam plant discharges, and tributary runoff's are good places to find it also. After spending some time on the river, and the BOC, you usually can get a pretty decent idea of where the bait is holding in your area. Good Luck.

9. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    Perry county lake is a " pole and line only" lake. Don't get caught throwing nets or it's a ticket for sure......

10. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    Thanks to all for the information......

What is the best approach to catching winter Skipjacks on the Mississippi?

11. rivercatter

rivercatter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been going out ther for the past two years and have never had any problems. But I'll have to check that out. Thanks

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Thats been the case here lately also. All I can do is find some before fishing ,then freeze them.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i alwats have some bream heads in bags to take with me kust in case.rite now im leaving the bream heads at home cause i got 70 or 75 lbs.of skipjach while i was at the picwick gathering.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The best approach I know of around here is to load up your car with a nice spinning outfit and a half dozen sabiki rigs and drive down to Ky Dam. If your feeling really adventurous, a nice drive down to Alabama's Lake Pickwick or Wilson will be your best bet for stocking up on hundreds of pounds of nice big skippy's. Its hard to stock up on skips around these parts, unless you can catch a nice run up at Melvin Price in Alton. Best bet right now is Ky Dam though.

15. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    went to ky dam last friday, my friend & i got there about 7am and was back home to new madrid by 1. we had caught right at 300 skips in that short of time. two & THREE AT A TIME. I WOULD BE WORTH YOUR TIME TO MAKE A RUN DOWN THERE, IF I DIDNT HAVE TO BE OUT OF TOWN THIS WEEK END I WOULD MEET YOU & GO OVER THERE TO LOAD YOU UP.... MAYBE WEEK AFTER...........SEND ME A PM IF YOU WANT TO GO.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    So what are the licensing requirements for the KY Dam area? Can you buy a 1 or 2 day non-resident license?

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I think for an out of state is was $10 for 1 day, 30 dollars for a 3 or a 7 day and 50 dollars for a year. Dont hold me to it but I am pretty sure that is right.

18. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Seems like I saw a link somewhere on the BOC regarding out of state licenses. But I couldnt find it when I was gettin ready for Memphis

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
  20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Under each state Whistler has a link to the states agencys.
    http://fw.ky.gov/avlic.asp