Catchin anything?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    anybody cathin anything here in mo since the cold left? I havnt been able to catch any bait.

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Me and two other guys snagged 13 spoonbills on Tablerock over the weekend. The biggest weighed right at 65 pounds. It was fun. The sucky part though is that my snagging for the year is over with. :angry:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Howdy folks. Just back from Cannelton, Indiana. With our crazy river levels and slow bite, I trailered the boat 4 and half hours to Indiana to fish the Cannelton Pool since it was at normal levels. I fished hard for 4 days, in the cold rain with the big front that pushed through. At the end of day 3 all I had was a 7 pound blue and a 1 pound flat to show for my efforts. I kept at it, even though I was discouraged and aggravated. I finally found the fish on the 3rd night and find them I did. It was a FEROCIOUS bite. We caught 250 pounds of fish in 3 hours. Heres the weights. 33,31,29,25,25,24,22,22,21,19,19,12, and 9.

I caught all the fish on cut skipjack's, and I found them way out in the main river channel, in 65 feet of water. These fish are still in deep water guys. I was 150 yards from shore when I found them, and they arnt relating to any structure to speak of. I suspect thats where they are here in our rivers too. Spend some time looking in the outside bends of the rivers in the deep scour holes and I think you will find the fish. These past cold fronts drove the bigger fish deep again and I think they will be there for another week or two.

Heres a link to a picture of the 31. Just scroll down to the post I made. Good Luck out there.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44086&page=22

4. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    dang cuz!! thats alot of fish. I have yet to even get some decent bait. I went bait fishin sunday with no luck so I went to petco and got a dozen comet goldfish for like 3 dollarsput two on a hook and casted out and also baited my other pole with little smokeys. not a bite on either.

Iv concluded that small goldfish dont stay on the hook very well unless you hook em through the eye and even with the smalest hooks I had, Im sure they died in about 10 seconds.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Andrew, if its live goldfish you want to use, its an outstanding Flathead bait. However you probably wont see the Flatties start biting until that water hits the 70 degree mark. Its still in the 50's right now. As well, the larger the goldfish you use the better. I will use the 10 inch comets when its flats I'm after and I've found them to stay super lively even after hours of fishing them. In fact, they are about the heartiest of baits. You will want to hook them just below and behind their dorsal fin. Like I said, its probably a little early to target flatheads. Next time I go out, your welcome to tag along with me to stock pile some bait for yourself if you dont mind the drive down to Festus Missouri. Try targeting those Blues with cutbaits this time of year. I think you will catch more fish. Try cut asian carp, cut liver from spoonbills, cut gizzard and threadfin shads. I've even caught some nice fish on cut up Gars. Right now can be an awesome Bluecat bite. I wont target the flats until 70 degrees. At the point they will go on a feeding binge before spawning starts. Watch the BOC closely, and you will know when the flats are hitting. You'll see lots of reports from the members. Good Luck My Friend. Hope I've helped, even if just a little.

6. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    nice bunch of cats Cuz,were those skips fresh or frozen?

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Ron, the Skips were fresh. I know alot of our members do okay on frozen baits however i made the decision a long time ago to never use frozen baits. I've got to work my tail off sometimes to find fresh bait, but I personally believe its well worth the effort especially when the fish are finicky. The guys from Kentucky do well on the Ohio River with frozen skips, but I can tell you they are real picky on preserving them. When they catch the skips they go immediately on ice, then they vacuum pack them and freeze them. If you dont vacuum pack them, you will have moister in the bag, and they will go soft and mushy. Bottom line, when you thaw your baits if the blood isnt red, they are no good. If it even has the slightest tinge of brown color to it, pitch it. Better yet, cut it up into half inch pieces and chum with it. Good Luck and Be Safe Out there.

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Thanks Cuz,I agree about fresh bait,I use whatever I can get.If I cant get anything in the net I'll catch some bluegill on a rod and use them,I've caught most of my fish on bluegill.:big_smile:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey guys, thought I'd pass on news I just received from someone I trust when it comes to fishin. This is as hot as it gets. The Blues have gone shallow already. Buddy of mine hammered the sheet out of them today and ALL the fish came out of 10 feet of water or less. Best advice I can give is fish rock revetments and sunken wood which is slightly upriver of your best deep water holes. The fish are definitely shallow. I wouldnt make this up. I cant believe its happening this fast but it is. Once the river starts dropping quickly the bite will go south and you will need to look deep again. Nows the time to be out there. Good Luck.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What's the water temperature down that way, Cuz?

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    60 plus or minus a couple.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The river here in KC just topped 60 degrees today... But it didn't turn any fish on for the KC tournament.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Are the rivers receeding up that way yet? Its been my experience a rapidly receeding river level is about the toughest fishing conditions you can face.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Dropping like a rock. Fishing was awful - winning stringer was a limit of 5 to 7 lb channels, just like the March tournament. Big fish was 9.2 lbs blue cat.

I'm convinced there just aren't any fish here to catch. I think they've all gone downstream and maybe they'll come back, maybe not...

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Wow, that's some pretty bad numbers for a tournament out in that neck of the woods. I've heard over and over that a rapidly receeding river level = absolutely terrible fishing. Hope it gets better soon.

16. natefishing

natefishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    rivers up boys be careful don't go full throttle on the river, use caution catfish should be biting though good luck try stup island at glassgow,mo off of hwy 87 take hwy 24 through salisbury,mo then turn on hwy 5 then right into glassgow through town then launch at stump island good catfishing been there bank fishing all night ltwo years ago great catfish and sturgeon respond back boys