Catch your own worms trick!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by RobbHeb, Jan 2, 2009.

1. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    dont know if this has been mentioned, and i dont know if its even legal(with the EPA).

take a bucket of water and mix dawn soap(i used Ajax, i think, and it worked to) mix it in the bucket of water, pour over the ground where you think there might be alot of worms. sit back and grab them as the come out of the ground.

i think it hurts them, so i had a pale with clean water on hand to rinse them off so they wouldnt die, i done this most of the day and didnt see any die from it, but ya never know.

they literally jump right out of the ground!

have fun!

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Had never heard of that one.Thanks.Might have to give it a try(if the ground ever THAWS out):roll_eyes:

3. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ok, figured something out. it does kill them, at least the smaller ones. all the ones i didnt pick up off the ground are dead, however the ones i caught and rinsed off are fine. so if you try this be sure to rinse off the ones your catching.

maybe even hose off the ones you dont want as to not kill off your future catches.

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    some of my spots I just brush my boot across the ground and there is just dozens of jumper worms just squiggling everywhere smallies love em and caught many bullheads and a few suckers few carp some channels

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I get those alot to. I go by this one creek and move the leaves and they are everywhere. They work good for trout.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    thanks for the tip, might have to try that out​

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    My great grandfather taught me a trick that works very well in the rich black dirt of Ohio by Cincinatti. When a big rain would come we would grab the flashlights and a couple buckets and at night go out into the yard or to the school yard and catch big night crawlers Im talking dozens as many as you could catch. They would be on top of the ground just laying there sometimes you could catch two or three at one time but you had to be quick. I had never seen or heard any body talk about this except people in my family. We would then after catching them tear newspaper just the black and white paper in to little pieces and wet it down. The we would take old coffee grounds and put them in there and put them in an old frigerator. The worms would stay good for a long time with this method. The old World War II vet showed me alot, I miss the old guy.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I was a kid I had a morning paper route, after big rains I would pick upward of 500 night crawlers a day out of the gutter. I took them home and put them in a 50 gal barrel that we had burried I always had bait and would sell 100 bucks worth of worms a summer.
    smokey
    I get worms popping up like that when I give my dog a bath in the yard.

9. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

This is an old one we did when we were kids. In the summer when it got real hot and dry and you didn't see nightcrawlers for weeks we would buy a can of powdered mustard mix about a tablespoon per pint and we would find the nightcrawler holes (they look a lot like ant hills) and we would pour a little down each hole. In a matter of a few minutes the crawlers would come out of the holes like a snake chamer does to a Cobra. We would rinse them of lightly with creek or pond water and they would live for weeks. I've used the soap method but the mustard seemed to have a better survival rate and didn't kill the grass.

10. rahughes

rahughes New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I lay a 4 x 8 sheet of old plywood on the ground with some weight on top and after a week or so i can usally get enough worms to take the kids fishing.

11. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa

yes it does kill them it seems to me that it melts them,p.s. it will also kill your lawn lol.....trust me i know!

12. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana

hahaha, i figured that, thats why i done it at my parents house!!

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

When I was a kid my dad had very little money to feed me and he would make deals with farmers to go to their lands after big rains and pick worms to sell to bait shops by the 1000. He got them all that same way around Cincinnati after rains.

14. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I grew up in St.Louis Mo. and my uncle would take his 5 kids and 3 of us to the park after a summer rain about 10 pm..with a small flash light and a milk carton with one side of the top cut out was all we had..it was fun trying to catch those night crawlers before they went back into their holes!.. We would be out there for hours catching them..we had a 55 gal drum cut in half that we kept the worms in..one thing my dad taught me if you have worms in a bucket take toothpaste and go around the inside of the can or container..worms crawl up but as soon as they hit the tooth paste they will flip back into the bucket..always carried a little tube in my tackle box for years when I fished with my uncle. The thing about fishing with worms ..you will never know what you will catch..great memories.

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I used to do the plywood also, until I found out the power of electricity. Now, a couple afternoons and I have a whole summers worth worms.

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ill take an old mattress out and lay it on the ground,and i dont know why but i guess cause it stays dark and damp but anytime you need worms the ground underneath will be full of them.

17. lugnutz

lugnutz New Member

State:
    Demorest Ga.
    Grimpuppy, can you explain a bit about the use of electricity???

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    For those of you who pick up worms at night after rain here is a tip. Get a red LED flashlight. They will not run away from the red light so you can take your time picking them up.

Also, the AJAX trick is not the best idea, for those enviromental reasons. And it definately is illegal. If you are going to do it, make sure you aren't doing it where it'll runoff into any public waters or utility waters. No need to poison the fish or us!

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    After several request and thinking about it a little bit, I decided to tell how to build a worm shocker. I will start by saying they can kill you. People have died from using them. I have a momentary switch built into mine that you MUST NOT eliminate. It may save your life if something goes wrong.

First thing you need is 2 metal rods about 3/8" or 1/2" diameter and about 3 to 4 feet long. I have seen a couple that used rebar, I used 1/2" hot roll. You will need a way to securely attach a wire to each rod. You do not want the wire coming loose. I welded a 1/4" bolt to the top of each rod. I then took a heavy outdoor rated 2 prong 50 foot extension cord and cut the female end off (the opposite end that plugs into the wall). Make sure the extension cord is NOT plugged in when you do this. There are 2 wires in the extension cord. You will need to split the outer casing of the extension cord about 5 foot. Do not nick the casings on the individual wires. You do not want any bare wire. This will give you an extension cord with 2 wires about 5 feet long on one end. Put a ring terminal on the end of each wire so that it will fit over the bolt you welded to the top of each rod. Take one wire and slide the terminal over the bolt welded to the end of one of the rods and use a lock nut to secure it. Do the same thing with the other wire on the other rod. You should now have 2 rods with one wire running to each of them. Now take a 1 foot piece of a pool noodle and slide it over the top of the rod. Leave 3 inches of the noodle above the rod. Take some good quality electrical tape and wrap the noodle with several layers. You can not use to much tape. You want the entire noodle wrapped in tape. You want it tight so the noodle won't come off the rod. Do the same thing to the other rod. You should now have an extension cord with 2 wires hooked to 2 rods on one end with pool noodles over the rods and wrapped in electrical tape. DO NOT USE IT YET.

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP
    Go to radio shack or other electronics store and buy a momentary on switch and a small 110 volt light. These switches are spring loaded. They are always in the off position. You have to push the switch to turn them on. When you let go of the switch they shut off automatically. It is very important that you use this type of switch. Do not use anything but a momentary switch. With this switch, if something were to go wrong and you start getting shocked the switch will turn off as soon as your finger comes off it. I will say it again, very very important to use a momentary switch. With a regular on/off switch or no switch at all, if something goes wrong and you start getting shocked there is nothing you can do about it. I think I have stressed this enough. When you are at radio shack or wherever make sure you DO NOT get a 12 volt switch or light. There are many different switches. The one you want will be rated for 20 amps@125VAC. While you are at radio shack, buy a thick PLASTIC box to mount the switch and light in. DO NOT mount the switch in a metal box. Now cut your extension cord in half.This will let you stand back 25 feet from the rods while operating it. Mount your box, switch and light. You want to hook your light in the box between the switch and the rods. This thing will make no noise and there is no way to know for certain that there is no current going to the rods when you let off the switch without a light.

Now you should have an extension cord with a male end that plugs into a wall outlet, a momentary switch mounted in the middle of the extension cord with a light, two wires at the end of the extension cord mounted to two rods wrapped with a pool noodle and electrical tape.

The wetter the ground is the better it works. Mainly because the more moisture the closer the worms are to the top. It works best to run the sprinkler for a little bit if the ground is dry. When you can grab a rod and put some weight on it and it slides about a foot in the ground, the moisture is about right. YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT ANY STANDING WATER ON THE GROUND. Put your rods in the ground about 3 feet apart. Walk back and plug the extension cord in. Go to your momentary switch and hold it on. After about 30 seconds let off the switch, unplug the cord for safety's sake and go look around the rods. If there are worms there they will come up. A bunch of little bitty ones will come up first and almost instantly. If you see the little worms you are in a good spot. Got back and hold the switch for 2-5 minutes. Then let off, unplug the cord for safety's sake again and go collect your worms. Repeat this process until no more worms come up. It can take 15 minutes or longer to get all the big ones up. Sometimes it takes a while then all at once here they come. Then unplug it for safety's sake and move the rods about 4 feet one way or the other, plug it back in and do it again. Worms will only come up about 4 feet around one of the rods. I am not sure of the physics of it, but you will notice every time it is only one of the rods that drives the worms up. And to make it even stranger, it isn't always the same rod that they come up around. One of the best places to use this is sheds and garages that don't have gutters. Stick the rods in the ground where the water normally runs off the roof and hits the ground. You can usually see a little depression in the ground down the side of the building where the water hits. Also the taller the grass is the harder it is to see the worms. Hit the yard with the mower before you do it and it will be easier to make sure you get all that come up.

DO NOT TOUCH THE RODS WHILE IT IS PLUGGED IN
    THE ENTIRE ROD HAS ELECTRICITY FLOWING THROUGH IT
    DO NOT USE THIS WHILE IT IS RAINING.
    DO NOT USE ANYWHERE THERE IS STANDING WATER
    DO NOT USE THIS ALONE BY YOURSELF.
    ALWAYS HAVE SOMEONE ELSE THAT CAN UNPLUG IT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG
    THIS IS ELECTRICITY - A LITTLE COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY
    BE SAFE AND HAPPY HUNTING

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    nothing to do with nitecrawlers but if you like to use earth worms or milk worms as some call them you can catch them without digging also.rake out a circle on the ground bout 10 foot across and tale a chain saw or generater and place it in the center.start it up and sit back and wait the worms,if any there,will come crawling out of the ground.this may take a bit but it does work.