Catch Winter Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by CJ21, Feb 16, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am planning on target some Winter Blue Catfish next Monday, I am going to be fishing a river below the Dam I am wondering should I fish the current by the rocks? I hear Blue Catfish love heavy current.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What dam are you going to?

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I thought you were from tn, never mind that question. They do like current I would look for some structure It may be hard to find out from the bank but most dams will have a big hole in front of them and what I try and do is look at the current for a break, or come down stream a ways to find the back of the hole, thats the best I can do

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Check out any coves or flats you guys who only fish the deeper waters in the winter months are missing out. Warm sun light will bring the bait fish up into the flats and coves and the blues that are looking to feed will follow them.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The like current because it blows the bait to them. They don't like swimming in it as much as a channel cat, so look for those breaks where they can ambush prey from.

6. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana

Amen Tim, I've learned that too.

Be aware that they don't bite as hard when it's this cold. The bite may be slow as molasses but you can get some lunker blues this time of year.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    This is the best time of the year to catch big blues

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always hear that too, but where's all the pics at?

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Here is the photos of the guys i had here from texas and in 3 days they had over 80 blue 60 of them over 20 lbs. all came from less then 25 feet and the two 41 lbers came from 15 feet and 8 feet. when the top water temp was 35

.http://www.catfishangler.com/gallery2/v/chapters/kings/

10. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I have some nice pictuers. Just need to downl. New mebber, but I love to fish with my dad at Texoma. 12.31.07 we caught 1 60.00lbs 5@20 and 10@ 10lbs... Going back in March. The very best time where we fish is between Novermber and April. Love that cold Water!!!!!