Catch/release

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JimmyJonny, Sep 19, 2007.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been watching the thread on the 72lb blue caught on the Missouri river. I've noticed the different opinions that people have. Some people commented about the 72lb'er being killed and some just said nice fish. My question is what does everyone think should be done with a fish that big. Where do you draw the line ? I've never caught one that big so I cant say for sure but I prolly would release him. Of coarse I would call everyone on the planet to come to the river to see it first. A lot of people here have caught 50lb + fish and I was also wondering if they have at least kept one...their first ? I would really like to keep this discussion about giant cats in general not the 72lb fish just caught. Please add the weight that you think is the keeping size and where you yourself draw the line. Either way I will respect everyone's opinion and thank you all in advance for replying.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can't offer an opinion as I'm not too good at fantasizing...:smile2:

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    IMO all fish should be catch, photo, release unless it's going to get eaten. I don't catch cats over 10lbs because all I have are channel cats. They all get released. I would have to say if I was catching big fish (10-100lbs) That anything under 5lbs would get kept to eat. That is if I ate catfish of course lol.

Tom

4. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    I release any fish over 10 pounds. If people understood how long it takes a fish for example a blue to get that big more people would release. Take a picture and let them go. There are plenty of smaller fish for eating.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's nothing "wrong" with keeping a huge fish, at least from a legal standpoint (in most cases - check your local regs of course) -- but from an ethical and conservation-minded standpoint, many of us believe it's horribly irresponsible to take a huge fish out of the system just because you got lucky enough to catch it on the end of your line.

Many folks on the BOC who grew up catfishing have always kept everything they caught -- to them a catfish is seen as "food" only, not a limited, precious natural resource worthy of conservation for the benefit of future generations. They've always caught plenty of catfish and can't see that there's any chance of depleting the population, so to them there's no harm in keeping every fish.

But a growing number of folks here, especially those who've enjoyed more and more success in catching larger fish, have come to realize that we simply *can't* kill every huge fish we catch -- as Doug Stange of In Fisherman says, "big fish are too important of a resource to catch only once" -- the big fish are the primary breeding stock that provide the vast majority of the "next generation" of catfish. The big fish are also extremely rare - any given body of water will have multitudes of smaller fish for every big fish. And catfish grow much more slowly than many people think -- in some waterways, a 50 lb fish might be 30 years old or more. Take one big fish out of the system, and you might have a negative impact on the fishing in 5 or 10 years; take several big fish and you're almost certain to have a negative impact.

So, frequently when someone posts a picture of a huge fish, dangling from a rope and very clearly not destined for release, it's both heartbreaking and aggravating for many of us who have caught similar fish and released them. There's considerable frustration on our part, because others simply haven't been educated enough to realize the potential harm they're causing to the ecosystem.

You'll find there are very few if any of us here who believe strictly in catch & release fishing -- instead, most of us encourage the concept of "selective harvest" (also pioneered by Doug Stange of In Fisherman) whereby you choose to keep a few of the "right" fish from a given body of water and release the rest to fight another day. A general guideline (using an arbitrarily chosen weight) that many of us follow is to release all fish over 10 lbs, keeping only a few fish under that size for a meal when we want one. We don't keep *every* fish under 10 lbs, nor do we insist on always keeping a full limit of fish -- instead, keep as much as you personally will immediately use, *not* as much as you can legally keep and clean and hand out to all the neighbors, or stockpile in your freezer or end up dumping in the trash because you've got too much already.

Through web sites like the BOC, the "average" catfisherman today will become far more successful and find himself catching much larger fish, much more frequently. Along with that increased success comes a responsibility to ensure that other fisherman and especially future generations of fisherman will have the same opportunity for success. If we all do our part, catfishing will do nothing but improve in the years to come.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ya what Marty said....
    Very good post Marty....

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As much as it pains me to agree with Marty, I must. LOL Very good post!

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I love to catfish and the main reason I came to the this site is to learn as much as I can about the sport of catfishing. I try to put my 2 cents worth in when I feel I can contribute and to share tips that I have learned over the years. It wasn't to long ago I didn't know anything about CPR. We pretty much kept and ate everything we caught. Thanks to these sites and tournament fishing I have been educated on releasing the bigger fish and why. We now release all fish 10 lbs. And over. But that is our choice to do so and I for one will never condemn someone for keeping one or more big fish. The state you fish in sets there guidelines and as long as someone is doing something that is within their states laws then it is none of my business. The best we can do is try to educate people as I have been educated instead of condemning them for their actions.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dang Marty, that last post of your shows that sometimes you can even make sense. LOL

J/K Marty, this might even be at least the second or third time you have made sense.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I really agree with the fact that we should only harvest what we can realistically eat. I know some folks that keep everything and give the fish away and stockpile, etc. This is frustrating. I also agree that many of these larger fish (10+) play a crucial role in maintaining a healthy ecosystem. I almost exclusively release my fish. However, I also love to eat catfish. So every once and awhile I will harvest some "bread n butter" cats in the 2-6 pound range. Overharvesting the large fish will undoubtedly have a negative affect on the population over time. In fact, at Santee you are now only allowed 1 blue over 36" per person per day. This new regulation was in response to the concern that too few large blues were being caught recently. I feel that it is a step in the right direction.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ah, excuse me, ah, Darryl. Could you direct me to that other one or two you mentioned? I looked everywhere!

Sorry Marty, I guess it's your turn today to get all the junk thrown at.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I personaly will release all big fish i caught my avator the other day and he was released after a bunch of photos but he will live to fight another day. If I want to eat fish I go catch some 2-3 pound pan size channel cats at a farm pond. i wont even let somebody else take one of the bigger cats I catch even if its the only fish we catch.

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe it is up to the person who caught it. Secondly I believe it is a worse sin to turn a monster loose to go off and die and become vulture food. I also think that people who only "sport" fish or fish for sport are better prepared to CPR fish. They have caught big fish and will catch even bigger. But for the average "joe" who fishes for the table by the time the fish should go back into the water its usually to late. Again its up to the individual, I am personally against sportfishing but thats just me. The way I was raised when nothing was harvested unless it was going to be supper. I know times of changed but that doesnt mean I have to change with them. I still fish for food and likewise hunt. I try to eat as little as possible of anything I didnt grow or harvest from field and stream.I know I will be attacked by people in here but thats just my opinion.

And its what I think is right for ME AND ME ONLY!!! AND I'M NOT RUNNING DOWN ANYONE WHO SPORTFISHES. I am not on such a pedestal to judge what others do and same goes for this topic. Its a individuals choice and right to do as they please.

I dont believe any creature was put on this earth to become a sport. That is why we have football, soccer, basketball, etc. But I dont believe they were put here for us to eliminate from the face of the earth. And each of us practices conservation in different ways. I turn all small fish loose. That is how I practice conservation. The key is that we all practice it.

We humans are a funny animal we jump on members on this board for doing this or that to certain animals but we have no problem in sacrificing other fish to catch a monster catfish for our own ego trips. Just a opinion I have.

Will

14. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Will i agree with you verry much. I have heard individuals talk about big fish they caught and released that the fish had been out of the water too long. tou cant haul one all over the country and releasit and it live verry long. I would rather release the small ones myself. really though I probably wont catch enough to hurt anyone.thanks Sam Davis

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    As far as preparation for CPRing a fish, I've got a camera in my cell phone and usually try to keep one on the boat. If I don't have a camera, I'm just out of luck for the picture, the fish goes back and I hope people believe me when I tell them what I caught, if I tell them at all.

The key to the CPR is the photo part. I don't drag the fish around all over the country to show people, I get the hook out, take a pic, and put him back in the water. It's a lot easier to drag the photo around than a fish:wink:

Maybe sportfishing is just an ego trip, but its a way to indulge my ego that lets me spend time outdoors with my children and friends, and see some amazing creatures that I wouldn't see if I didn't sport fish. I eat a lot of fish, I just choose not to eat what are, in my opinion and a lot of scientists opinion, some of the most important members of the fish population.

As far as eating only what a person catches or harvests, with the costs of tags, licenses, a boat if you're so inclined, guns, tackle, the lack of available and productive hunting/fishing areas for a vast segment of the population, and personal and professional commitments, attempting to "live off the land" would be more of an excercise in ego satisfaction than going to the PriceChopper for food and the river or field for "sport" for most people. KKYY, if you're lucky enough to be able to get most of you're sustenance from hunting, fishing, and you're own farming, GREAT! Most of us don't have that option and the only chance we get to go out in nature is when we fish or hunt for "sport". Have I gone in the woods just to look at the animals without a gun? Yup. All the time with my kids. I can see the deer, turkey, etc without much effort other than walking. If I want to see a big fish and the excitement of tussling with him, I don't have much choice but to "sport fish". Like you, I'm not condemning your style of conservation and I enjoy reading your posts and your views. It's just that for a lot of us, fishing more for sport than food is a way to enjoy the outdoors without necessarily having to kill something to do it. Good Luck!

Branden

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    So KKYYOOTTEE,

I guess since you abhor "sportfishing" as you call it, you must pack up your gear and take your boat back out of the water as soon as you get enough for tonights supper. Am I right? Thats what you are saying.

To stick around longer, if they are biting perhaps, would be "sportfishing" and we can all see you wouldn't dare do that.:crazy:

I eat fish also, but I fish for fun too. I keep only what my family will eat at the dinner table and enough to have a few people over for a fish fry once in a while.

But if the fish is bitin', I am stickin around for the action.:wink:

17. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It may be getting a little far from the original topic but folks just have to do whats in there mind and what feels correct to them.
    Deciding before ya hook a big one is important mostly because by the time ya wrestle one into the boat drag him around for everyone to see and then decide... He will be better off on the cleaning table.
    A big fish should be treated to as little interaction as possible, measure ,weight and Picture. If he starts to dry he has been out to long and is gonna suffer some setbacks wheather he gets back to the lake or not..

It is your deal to decide .

Pre judging or judging others at all is just not my cup of tea.

I know when we hit the lake for that week in July, I am going to put a winters worth of filets in the freezer..
    One because I can,
    Two because I love to fry fish and
    Three because our fishery can and does sustain such a practice.
    If a Big fish came along as part of that trip , he would be a part of the Lauder.. No doubt ,no explaining , and no justifications.
    Don't have to and don't want to. and Neither does anyone else.

Do not take the resource forgranted and do not be wasteful.. The rest will take care of its self.

Thanks to all that cared enough to share on this thread. Great stuff folks .

18. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    What reakky bothers me is the tournaments the way they haul the fish sll day then turn them loose. I saw in one of the tournaments that they together caught 850lbs of fish how many of those were alive the next day didanyone check to see how they were doing. probably just loaded up and headed to the house. after a hard day of fishing or weekend most are ready for the home. Just a thought ihave watdched the bass tournaments weightin some times they have dead fish and dont even get to count it those fish gave there lives and didnt even count that is really a waste just setting here and that came to me iam not throwing at any one just talking in general. Thanks a lot SAm Davis

19. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont remember using the word abhor and I dont remember me saying it "sportfishing" was wrong for anyone but me. But as usual some people just read what they want to see. And if that opinion is not what they feel is right they attack. I made no attacks. You want to know the reason sportfishin is not for me? Because anytime a fish is hooked and fought there is a good possibility that it will die. I refuse to take that chance. But that is me. Tell me a purpose for Sportfishing? Is it that we are gaining scienetific information? Is it feeding the hungry? It only serves as fuel for Peta and every other nut group out there to take the priveledge of fishing away from all of us. And since none of you know me dont assume anything about my practices. We fish till we have what we want and stop. Do we stock up our freezer yes!! Do we kill fish that are small ? Yes it happens but we keep them!! I never said I lived off the land. I said we try to buy as little as possible. Many a time the wife and I have hopped in car caught a few fish for dinner down at pond and came home with supper whether they were biting like crazy or just nibbling. See our fishing has a purpose to us one that we have decided is right for us. No where have I ever said my way is the only way. Just our way.

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sorry Will. I'm not slamming you at all. The way you stated it people should not even fish 'for fun' i.e. to keep fishing after the freezer is stocked would be sportfishing, right. Heck, don't want to fight with you.

You get pretty worked up from what I have read over TROPHY deer. Is that 'sporthunting'? After all them big ones are nasty to eat also.

Again, don't want to argue about it. I respect your opinion also. Just wanted to point that the people on the other side of the fence get pretty opiniated about the CPR stuff also.

Do what you want as long as it is legal.

Don't act like people that fish for a 'sport' (i.e. fun) are evil either. I personally hate football, baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer, golf, bowling etc.