Catch & release question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by recordbreakin1, May 25, 2009.

1. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have thought about this many times while out fishing.I know me and alot of other members release the fish over 10# that they catch.But every time I catch a fish under 10# that looks like it has been eating every thing in site I wonder if this fish will be the one that keeps on growing will grow to be a huge record size fish.I mean they look like they are doing realy good and growing fast and al the big fish were small at one time.Just a thought.What do you guys think?

2. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    In my opinion the numbers of the smaller fish far out weigh the numbers of the larger ones. I like to release the fish that have already attained the weight. Plenty of the smaller cats are gonna make it through to grow up.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THAT IS TRUE BUT WHAT IF THE SMALL ONE YOU TAKE TO EAT IS THE BRUDE FROM A MONSTER FISH THAT WILL GROW QUICKER AND BIGGER THEN THE REST.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I do my best at not catching them at all so I dont have to worry about it LOL

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i guess that would have to be a judgment call on the part of the fisherman there.If you think its one of the future monsters then by all means put it back in,but i dont know how you could determine that really,not sure you could do that by how fat it is at a young age or not.Might be something to look into,might be worth some kind of study.Id be interested.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I try to keep a pretty open mind on this subject.My motto-Live and let live.If a guy wants to eat his fish,that,s his business,I release 99% of the time,but that,s my choice.Animal rights nuts got enough ammunition,I don,t want to give them more from within our ranks.When I was still able to hunt,I didn,t care if it was a 10 pointer or a spike,if i wanted meat for the freezer it was a shooter.Someone wants to eat a 10# or a 100# fish,I say it,s their fish and their right as sportsmen to do whatever they want with it.I,d say there,s plenty to go around.From what I,ve read,it seems like the commercial netters are a lot bigger problem.The only reason i don,t take cats is because I,m not particularly fond of them as far as fish goes.I love trout and take steelhead whenever I get the chance,I don,t worry about the looks some of the flyfishing elitist give me.I try not to judge lest I be judged.My opinion only.:big_smile:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my opinion and some others is to look at the common size fish for the waters your fishing in for eaters.

8. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If I'm looking for eaters, I keep the ones that are about the size of my frying pan. They're generally the 2-4 pounders. The others get released. The bigguns can be a real pain in the kiester to clean. Smaller cats taste better anyhow.

There are a ton of 2-4 pound cats in this area. A 10-pounder isn't as common. I don't eat a bunch of fish, and my wife doesn't eat any, so most of what I catch goes back.

I have no problem with guys who keep bigger fish to eat. If you'll use it, keep it. You won't hear a peep from me. I do have a bit of a problem when a guy keeps one to show it off, and then dumps it in the trash when it starts to smell.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with you about that keeping a fish for show and then just wasting it.Cameras are cheap enough today that most everyone can afford one.Thanks.:big_smile:

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    That would be ok to do if the spot you are fishing is private . Otherwise someone will probably catch the fish and take him anyway .

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just less than 2 years ago....I never returned any fish to the water. I kept every fish that I caught....especially the big ones! But since joining the BOC and learning the importance of CPR in my local waters.......I started returning all fish over 10 lbs. Recently over the past few months I have taken it one step further and now release all fish over 5 lbs. I like to keep several 3-5 lb fish for the freezer and have found out that they taste the best to me.

I usually fish the same several spots from the banks and the more fish I return to the local waters....the more fish I can catch when I go fishing. Not only that....the last big fish I ate....tasted like sh!T compared to the 5 lbs and under. So no more big fish killed by me. But I do agree....it is up to each person to do what they feel like doing with their own fish.:wink:

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Its a tough situation for sure.I was always taught from my dad and grandfather wether it be fishing or hunting dont kill it if you ant going to eat it.Ive been hunting many a time and could have tagged out but didnt do it,i let the deer walk cause i didnt need it,even if it was a nice buck.Same with fishing i keep what im going to eat everything else gets put back.I CPR as well some times ill keep a good size one if the freezer is empty.I dont have to big a problem with people catching a big one and keeping it if there going to eat it.Especially since we are on such hard times now a days,heck if it helps feed the family during these hard times go for it.Ive been laid off for months so if it saves on my grocery bill to bring some fresh cats home hey im all for it.
    The problem is you have so many people fishing today like others have said its almost gotten to popular,and you got people not following the rules taking more then the limit says to.Theres one place in particular that i sometimes go to fish that i dont care what size it is im keeping it,cause everybody that fishes this place walks out with more then there limit,when they stock it with trout people fish the trout out without trout stamps,and if you do catch a big cat you better keep it cause the next fella will.All the while the gamewardens are standing there watching.This place happenes to be the headquarters of the kentucky fish and wildlife.Pretty sad huh?

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    well you never know which ones have the genes to be the big ones,good question,we just take enough to get the freezer loaded and then cull the catch, everyone has differsnt ways. dont keep more than youll eat

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I am lucky enough to have the Atlantic Ocean near me so if I want to eat fish, I catch it from the clean ocean. Catfish in the rivers around me are full of chemicals like PCB and mercury which makes them less desirable to eat.

15. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    from what i understand the ocean isnt that clean anymore either:sad2:

16. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I release everything over 10 pounds. I dont have a problem with people keeping big fish, but I never do. I fish primarily with my 11 year old son, and we will fish for eaters all spring and summer. We will keep our limit of 2 to 5 pounders every chance we get. We fish for big blues all winter and release everything we catch, including the small ones. Once the fish we caught in the spring and summer is gone we will start keeping fish again. I want my son to be able to catch fish regularly when he is my age or older, and I am trying to teach him conservation as much as harvest.