Catch & Release especially flathead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by petersoutcats, Feb 12, 2007.

1. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Catfish make great table fare but should the big ones be released, especially the Flatheads because of their Ferocity, and I understand their fairley Scarce.
    How many of y'all realease your fish?
    I here up to 8lbs makes the best tasting filet on your dinner plate, should the rest be thrown back >if not starving, and after pictures af course.
    I'm new to the sport and new to this sight, I hope I havent affended anyone from these questions thanks BOC.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Scott, Welcome to the BOC!!!
    You have not offended anyone with that question, as a matter of fact, I like eating fish myself but, I release anything over 10lbs and seldom keep any at all anymore. There are a few on here that will dissagree with my methods but, that is ok. At least they will have more fish to catch later because of my and many others efforts. Keep up the good work Brother!!!

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i dont keep nothing over 26 inches....a few pics if i have a camra handy and back they go

4. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the welcome JW
    By the way I like twinkies too:wink:

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I personally release all Flatheads.
    Channels I keep if they are under 5lbs and the water is less than 60F. The are more tasty when they come from cool water. Otherwise all fish go back so they can grow and I can catch them again.

Good question Mate!
    thanks
    Larry

6. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I usually throw back the big flatheads. If I got a good crowd to feed I like a 15 to 20 lb blue. My personal favorite is a 5lb channel or blue. And welcome brother.

7. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I posted the same question when I first signed up as a member. I personally don't care for the taste of fish, but I love to catch them. All my fish go back, after a weighing and a picture or two. BTW welcome to the BOC, you will love it here.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Danny. I... like yourself, really like to catch fish.... and I release most of them to let the tounament boys to have more fish to catch.... and for sportsmen to catch another day.

I think that you need to find some other ways to cook the catch... you are missing some good eating.... sure I'd like steak, chicken etc and plan on that when I'm camp/fishing.... but cleaning the fish is important and maybe that is part of the taste problem???

Just my opinion....
    Tried lemon peper and other spices on the catch?

bayrunner ray

9. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I don't mind cleaning fish. I just don't like the taste and I definately don't like the smell of fish cooking.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like eating fish, and the flathead is at the top of my list. I never catch more than 3 or 4 a year, so I don't feel bad keeping them. Catch and release is important, and if I ever cross the threshold where I blieve my keeping fish is detrimental to the population, I will release fish. I'm not there yet.

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Scott. I think everyone has their preference for what they wish to do with their monsters. I agree that the younger the fish, the better tasting it is and that the big'uns should be released. Still, I respect any fisherman that takes a 20lb'er to the kitchen to eat and hope that others are at least respecting the fish by using good catfisherman ethics.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I RELEASE ALL THE CATFISH THAT I CATCH !!

13. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think it all depends on the fishery ... here on keystone there are probably on average of about a 100 hook snagline or trotline every 200 yds in the spring and when the flathead get up to 20 lbs they can't swim through those lines without getting hooked so why worry about letting a fish go that's going to end up on one of those snaglines and sold for $2/lb. there's lots of people that fish keystone year round and sell the fish outta there illegally so what would be the point in releasing fish that some knothead will most likely get and sell for beer money. there's a big number of folks that snagline and trotline out there that don't sell fish too but there's probably 8 of them that I know about that set out lines and put their kid's name on them and their wife's name on one then their dead uncle's name on another and set out as many as they can and harvest mostly all big flatheads from 30 lbs and up to where it' really rare to catch a flathead in keystone now on rod and reel. with this amount of pressure on the fish there I don't mind harvesting everything I catch .. I'd like to see people release their fish but it won't make a difference in keystone unless the fish and wildlife folks change the laws to allow the fish to grow. I fished with one of the fishery biologists when we shot the show for Outdoor Oklahoma and he said that it's probably going to be about two years down the road before they start discussing making changes to the regulations to allow for trophy fishery and he implied that keystone may be the one the turn into a trophy fishery for catfish because keystone catfish grow faster than any other lake in oklahoma ... man that'd be a great day if they turned it into a trophy fishery and disallowed set lining ... the world record could be grown in keystone in a hurry with the amount of forage fish there ... keystone's shad population is such that in the fall all the newly spawned shad are a nuisance cause you can't throw your net anywhere then without getting 50 to 500 littebitty shad stuck in your net's 3/8ths mesh and it takes a lot of effort to get them out and back into the water without creating a massive mess in your boat. when he shad are that thick and they set the limits so that you could only take one fish over 36" per day per boat or something similar to that an weed out the smaller fish it wouldn't take long before keystone would be a great fishery again. might be too crowded after that though hahaha ... maybe we should keep it like it is hahaha.

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I love to eat fried catfish, but I don't usually eat anything over 5-6 pounds. Anything over that is usually put back. Bullheads are another story...they suck.

15. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i am the same as most on here i throw all my fish back after i weight them an take a pic an my hat is off to those that do the same dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with keeping a few an thanks for praactice of cpr

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Although I like fried catfish, I release all my catches because of all the advisories on eating them out of the rivers, and the best tasting ones are farm raised in my opinion. I just dont see any reason for eating catfish over 10lbs.

17. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I don't eat anything over 10 lbs... but then I don't have to worry a lot because I don't catch a large number of fish over 10 lbs anyway!! LOL Flatheads are my favorite and I don't mind putting in a trot line or two in the spring and getting enough for a few good meals. I really enjoy taking my boys fishing with me and having them see the fish go from catch to table.

18. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I guess its a personal choice ,there isn't that many people that fish them up here. Seems everyone here is out chasing walleyes. I caught 4 last year, 20lbs to 33lbs that I kept, under 20lbs we release ! Never caught a real big one ,haven't had to make that decison. We catch alot of channels and throw everything under 3lbs back . I find the bigger cats yield more meat and cleaned right are better eating than walleyes . Welcome Scott to the BOC , good question . jay jay

19. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Scott.I usually keep a couple under 3 pds and the rest are released.Good luck fishing and welcome to the site.:cool2:

20. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I never keep anything I catch unless I have somebody with me that wants to keep the catch, and if so, I have no problem with letting them keep the catch.

I like to eat fish, but only if it's already there and prepared, like if the cafeteria at work is serving it or I visit my mom and she cooks it for dinner. I eat it, but I don't crave it. So I don't like to go to the trouble of preparing it. Now if fish tasted like a big juicy ribeye...well.....

I wouldn't let my fishing buddy keep any big fish however, although it's never come to that because I haven't caught a monster yet!