Catch, Photograph and Release

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Right up front, I will say that the purpose of the Carolina Catfish Club has been to conserve our trophy catfish fisheries. This was in our charter when we started the club in early 2001 and is still one of our primary objectives. It does not matter to us whether it is a blue, flathead or channel cat, a trophy cat is a trophy cat.

Also, it was our collective opinion that we would not force our objectives on others. It was agreeded upon at the offset, that only thru education could we reached the public and inform then of the need for preserving a trophy fisheries on Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, High Rock, Badin, Lake Hickory and other lakes in the Catawba and Yadkin chains.

Over the years we have been successful in converting a lot of catfishermen/women to the idea of CPR for those catfish which could be classified as trophy cats. We have done this thru club meetings, fishing seminars at Bass Pro, Gander Mtn., local bait shops, catfish tournaments, the BOC and other on-line connections. Also, individual club members have informed others that they have met fishing, on fishing message boards and elsewhere of the benefits of preserving our trophy fisheries.

We also realized early on that CPR was not for everyone for various reasons and it would not be in our best interest to condemn them. Some people will keep whatever they catch for food or to show off thier prize. If the truth be know, we were all guilty of that early on in our fishing careers. You can not fault a person for keeping a trophy fish if he needs it for food for his family. But there are two sides to every coin, such as why would someone spent $50 to $80 for gas (boat and truck), plus the prorata cost of boat and fishing equipment to catch and keep a trophy cat for dinner, when he or she could go to the fish market or grocery store and buy catfish filets for $5.99 to $6.99 a pound. Also, there are more eater size fish in our lakes and rivers than trophy cats and they contain less Mercury and other chemicals than the larger cats. Again, only thru education can we correct this situation to a degree.

I go out every week and catch cats for one or two meals every week and select those in the four to eight pound class as food. These size cats are good eating and good for my family from a health standpoint.

In closing, I want to say that, if you went fishing, from the bank and or your boat and you only caught one catfish and it was a trophy catfish and you wanted to take it home for food, I would not fault you. CPR is a choice, not a law made by man or political parties.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mr Mac,I'm gonna have to show my wife your thread.LOL
    I've went fishing 4 times this year and after cleaning my fish I had about 45 lbs.
    I was thinking $3.99 a lb.that would be $179.55.
    I've only spent $50.00 in all my trips,,I can't Waite until Amy gets up.LOL:wink:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I could not agree with this thread more. There is a great deal of character judging going on throughout the BOC and this thread sums up what my opinion of "right" is. Thanks brother Mac

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mac,

Very well said

Let each person make his/her choice

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ahhhhhhh Mac....always the statesman!!! :smile2:

If only I could be so eloquent when I speak. :eek:oooh:

In my opinion it all comes down to education, respect, and understanding. :wink:

We are a product of how we are raised. If you are raised with little or no respect for the outdoors and wildlife, then that is what you will be as an adult and teach your kids. If you are raised with an understanding and love of conservation, then that is what you will do and teach your kids.

The good news is that people can change. I was brought up to "keep what you catch". Through some maturiting and education I overcame that. Now, 99% of the fish I catch are released. Sure, I keep a few small 3-4 pound fish to eat, but the rest are set free.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Very good post indeed.You pretty well sumed up how a lot of people feel I believe. only thing I can say about the cost is .Sure you can go to the fish market and buy your fish but,doggone it isn't near as much fun or relaxing..:roll_eyes: Reps to ya.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    great post Mac, says I gotta spread it around 1st!!

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    SO GUYS THAT HUNT AND EAT GAME HAVE LITTLE OR NO RESPECT FOR NATURE? OR EATING FISH??? LMAO. WHY DID I EVEN VIEW YOUR POST? THATS WHY I MADE YOU DISSAPPEAR.

10. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    c4,,,, now there you go again.:smile2: LMAO

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lol. sorry buddie. but hes made statments in past about things i cant go with. and thinks there funny too. i wont bring them up here its not the place. i have more respect than that.:wink: maybe:roll_eyes:

12. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well said post for sure, thanks Mac

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....WHY DID I EVEN VIEW YOUR POST?..."

LOL!!!! :smile2:

I am like a car wreck; you hate what you see but you can't resist looking!! :smile2:

14. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    absolutely well put but it still does not rectify the fact that people keep everything they catch IMO if you need it keep it if not release it for the fun its a great feeling....I actually just posted about how angry I was about keeping trophies the new ca record blue because half the time there going to waist and everyone knows the bigguns are not as desirable on the plate IMO.....Its just a bummer that its an arguement over respecting wildlife????? thats not the case those catfish are put here to eat and have fun too but I couldnt have wrote it better than you MAC we cant impose are will upon someone else because of our "way of thinking" because in all honesty they are meant to be eaten for food right?.... but not RAPED PILLAGED AND WAISTED!!!!!! why is it such a big deal? WAIST SOME KITTENS AROUND ME AND ITS A KNUCKLE SANDWICH LOL!!! HAHAHA LET ME ASK A QUESTION TO "DONT YOU FEEL DUMB WAISTING FISH OR LETTING IT SPOIL?":angry:

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Now thats funny I must say. I never could pass up a car wreck. :smile2: I hate to see wyliecat carry all this weight on his shoulders. Put me in your Jenny bottle too...I guess. Im tire of what I have seen is all I can say. Notice I didnt say I was tired of what I had seen eat. Sometimes I wonder if the folks I see fishing do the same thing at the store when buying food. Great post Mac.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...I hate to see wyliecat carry all this weight on his shoulders...."

You seen how big my fat assprin shoulders are? :smile2: Actually 36 pounds lighter since you saw me last catfishrus!!!

Some folks are learning, and that is from both sides of the fence! :wink:

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    YES I DO! EVERY POST IVE READ SO FAR.:wink:

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey, That new avatar makes you look better Jeremy, LOL!!!!

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i sure feel better after meeting you john. now we can still poke fun but i respect you now more as a man than an avatar. talking with you saturday man to man isnt something most can get from this site. and i think alot of these guys would feel different about people and some members if they were to spend a day talking and actually get to know someone better than assuming that different folks are all alike.

i told ya that most of the things cpr guys promote i do agree with. you asked why i dont say that. well i just did. yep. right out in public.:wink:

its those whom pop in on a guy for simply being different i have to voice about sometimes.

hope ya had a safe trip home and didnt get heartburn from all that good food.:cool2:

if ya look close im getting rabbit ears. HEY! ya are what ya eat,lol.

it aint easy to hang up the gloves overnight since we all cant just go to the dining room and have a chat mono a mono. -filiment that is lmao.

but you will get my respect now. and there are those amogst us that wish to gain and undermine our info. i do agree. lurkers. but we cant judge all of a group for them rotton apples.

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I feel the same way Jeremy, it was great to finally meet you brother!!! Meeting face to face and getting to know someone, lets you get a better understanding of who they are. I really enjoyed all the laughs and they came at a time that I really needed it. The food was great and no heartburn, LMAO!!!